[SOLVED] Upgraded hard drive to ssd but no games show up on desk top.

Mar 3, 2023
Bios states 2 hard drives so does this pc. So what do I do to fix this if I can? also it shows the same amount of GB used on the second drive. but no game showed up on desk top

Solution
If you did a fresh install of Windows, your games aren't going to show on the desktop. Depending on how the games were installed, you might have to install them again. If they are from Steam, you need to install steam again and set you old HDD as a library so that it can find your games, same for some of the other game installers.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to pass on your full system's specs, like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
since this hasn't been stated in your initial post, if you're working with Windows, include an image of what you're seeing in Disk Management. For the sake of relevance, please state the BIOS version for your motherboard as well.

How did you perform the upgrade to the SSD, cloned your drive?

Mar 3, 2023
Are the games on the same drive as the OS?!
If the games are on a third drive then it can just be a matter of the cloned drive having given a different letter to the drive with the games, you can change that from disk management in windows.
No, I had a 500GB HDD drive with windows 10 that came with my prebuilt pc. Some time later I bought 1TB HDD, put my games on it, all good. Just recently I bought (1) TB SSD, Installed windows from usb, set it up, working good. I had planed on formatting the hdd but just wanted to know why games didn't show up on desk top. I did here about renaming the Hard drive but did not do that. Went ahead and just formatted the drive. Thx for taking the time.

If you did a fresh install of Windows, your games aren't going to show on the desktop. Depending on how the games were installed, you might have to install them again. If they are from Steam, you need to install steam again and set you old HDD as a library so that it can find your games, same for some of the other game installers.

Reactions: Username88
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
No, I had a 500GB HDD drive with windows 10 that came with my prebuilt pc. Some time later I bought 1TB HDD, put my games on it, all good. Just recently I bought (1) TB SSD, Installed windows from usb, set it up, working good. I had planed on formatting the hdd but just wanted to know why games didn't show up on desk top. I did here about renaming the Hard drive but did not do that. Went ahead and just formatted the drive. Thx for taking the time.
This?

The new OS install knows nothing about your games.

Which drive did you format?

Mar 3, 2023
The 500GB or 1TB?

In any case, the new OS knows nothing about these games.

If they still exist on whichever drive, you can tell your NEW Steam client where they reside.
Otherwise, download and reinstall.
1TB HDD

The 500gb hdd toshiba is still good after about 9 years but ripped out of my pc now.