Question Everything seems to run hotter since upgrading the CPU ?

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Hello hopefully i'm in the right place to ask this question i'm not quite sure i don't really ever use forums

So about 6 years ago i got parts to build a PC (got help to pick the parts)

ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING
Intel i7-8700k
MSI GeForce® GTX 1080
Corsair PSU 650W RMx
Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz
NZXT S340 Case

Which was running fine about 3,5 years ago i upgraded my GPU and my PSU and RAM just for the sake of getting better parts

I got
asus rog strix rtx 2080 super
corsair rm750x
And some DDR4 RAM think it was corsair Vengeance at 3600Mhz

And now this last weekend after 3,5 years i decided to upgrade my computer again since i noticed it having trouble keeping up

Newest Upgrades
GIGABYTE B650 GAMING X AX V2
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Kingston FURY Beast DDR5-6000 32GB
WD Black SN850X SSD - 1TB
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
And a new case Corsair 3000D AIRFLOW

I haven't done a fresh installment of windows (currently upgrading to windows 11 as of writing this)
I haven't been into BIOS yet i'm not really that good with computers

But after these upgrades

I've noticed that my GPU is running hotter than normal from what i've gotten to myself it's because my old CPU bottlenecked the 2080 super and now that i have a new CPU that can let my GPU go crazy that it's now running better and in turn hotter

In games Such a Sea of Thieves, and Call of Duty modern warfare 3 my GPU is getting the hottest hitting 85-87C
Even opening chrome makes my CPU spike to high 50's sometimes 60C for a few seconds before going down to 30-40C

When i had my buddy over to help me build the new PC i did do my best to clean Dust off the case fans we popped into the new case and i did (somewhat) clean the GPU of Dust using Canned Air didn't get it fully clean off Dust a bit tough to get everything

The Case Fan setup is 3x 120mm Fans infront of the case (some of them running faster than others) and a 120mm Fan in the back so i do believe the airflow is okay

My Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler is very very close to the backplate of the GPU one of the metal hooks to attach one of the CPU coolers is almost touching the backplate of the GPU i'm not sure that little space between the CPU cooler and GPU is making it run hot

Oh and sidenote i don't recall the Temps before i did my newest upgrade but i don't think it ran nearly as hot as it's doing now

My CPU temps are fine Package temps in all games i've tested so far have been at highest 80-86C When i open a game after the game is opened the temp goes down to 40-60C
While my GPU depending on the game is 50-60C Or 70-87C and Hotspot hitting 105,3C

Any ideas any suggestions is welcome i could really use it i don't like seeing my GPU running this hot in games and i'm not able to repaste the thermal paste on my GPU myself to scared to [CENSORED] it up tbh

And sorry that my thread is all over the place with the writing i get lost when i do longer form texting and end up talking in circles but HOPEFULLY you all understand my issue <3

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
And sorry that my thread is all over the place with the writing i get lost when i do longer form texting and end up talking in circles but HOPEFULLY you all understand my issue <3

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
While my GPU depending on the game is 50-60C Or 70-87C and Hotspot hitting 105,3C
Is the hot spot at 105C whether gpu core is 50-60, or 70-87C? That would be a clear indication that the gpu die needs a repaste - there's a range of about 20C or lower temperature gap between gpu core and hot spot, and it does vary between models.
If your buddy knows how to repaste a gpu, have them do it, or take it to a PC repair shop.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Is the hot spot at 105C whether gpu core is 50-60, or 70-87C? That would be a clear indication that the gpu die needs a repaste - there's a range of about 20C or lower temperature gap between gpu core and hot spot, and it does vary between models.
If your buddy knows how to repaste a gpu, have them do it, or take it to a PC repair shop.
The hotspot is 105C when it’s at 70-87C my friend dont know how to repaste the GPU so i have to find a PC repair store. Currently i decided to uhm do a reset of my PC via Windows own reset settings prob shouldn’t have but i did

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The hotspot is 105C when it’s at 70-87C
That amounts to a gap of 18-35C. Take it to a shop for a repaste when you have the chance.

Currently i decided to uhm do a reset of my PC via Windows own reset settings prob shouldn’t have but i did
Aye, you didn't need to do a reset for this, though a clean install of Windows is recommended when changing motherboards.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
That amounts to a gap of 18-35C. Take it to a shop for a repaste when you have the chance.

Aye, you didn't need to do a reset for this, though a clean install of Windows is recommended when changing motherboards.
Well not sure if it counts as a clean install of Windows when i asked it to keep my files which prob wasn't the best idea cuz i still appernetly need to re-download my stuff

But i will see if there's any Good repair stores in my Town and get it to them when i'm able too

I might attribute some of the heat to the new cpu which can push many more frames per second to the graphics card.
At what rpm are the front 120mm intakes running?
Increasing the rpm's if possible, will move more cooling air through the case and extract heat better.
You can replace those fans with higher rpm units or two 140mm units with very high rpm capability.

NH-D15 closeness to the backplate is ok.
It is a large cooler.

Do you have any indication that there is something wrong with your GPU paste.
Repasting is not likely to do any good and you risk causing some other sort of damage.
You might redo your initial cleaning with canned air. Those cans are not very strong and run out of air quickly. I use an electrical blower and immobilize any fans while cleaning.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
I might attribute some of the heat to the new cpu which can push many more frames per second to the graphics card.
At what rpm are the front 120mm intakes running?
Increasing the rpm's if possible, will move more cooling air through the case and extract heat better.
You can replace those fans with higher rpm units or two 140mm units with very high rpm capability.

NH-D15 closeness to the backplate is ok.
It is a large cooler.

Do you have any indication that there is something wrong with your GPU paste.
Repasting is not likely to do any good and you risk causing some other sort of damage.
You might redo your initial cleaning with canned air. Those cans are not very strong and run out of air quickly. I use an electrical blower and immobilize any fans while cleaning.
The front case fans all run 1200rpm + besides on the one sitting lowest down which don't run higher than 600 tops

I was thinking about replacing the 3x 120mm fans at the front for two 140mm fans and getting two 120mm fans installed below the GPU blowing air up towards the card to help getting more air to the card itself

I'm not sure how to tell if there's something wrong with my GPU's paste all i know is in Call of duty (ranked play) and Sea of Thieves (Pre-Lobby) That my GPU get's hot rather quickly highest i've seen is 87C on the GPU and 105C on the hotspot

And i will prob buy a electrical blower when i get my next paycheck and redo the cleaning and ofc immobilize the fans so i don't damage them

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Did fans come with pc case preinstalled?
Or did you install them yourself?
Are you sure, the fans are properly orient
Two of the Fans in the front i install the top red one and the bottom one the middle one came pre-installed all of them are facing the correct way and the one exhaust fan in the back came pre-installed aswell i also checked all the Fans on the GPU are spinning
xeJydIb.jpeg

I like 140mm fans, they move more air quietly.
Noctua makes some up to 3000RPM which I think is excessive.
But, you could try the 2000 rpm version:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-a14-ippc-2000-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835608047?Item=9SIB66RKB00584
You can always lower the rpm if need be.

Update...
Your photo helps.
Some thoughts:

It is the lowest fan that provides cooling to the graphics cards.
At 600 rpm, it is not helping all that much.

You r card needs two 8 pin connectors and is going to generate more heat than before.

I see only one power lead from the psu.
Looks nice from an cable management point of view.
But, it is better practice to use two leads.
A single lead to two 8 pin connectors can overload the cable.

In the past, I used a slot fan mounted underneath the gpu to direct cooling air across the gpu fan intakes.
It helped.
They can be a cheap experiment.
https://www.amazon.com/CCBBAA-Compu...01da283684d43b2d814b1ae8657e2ad4&gad_source=1

Last edited:

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
I like 140mm fans, they move more air quietly.
Noctua makes some up to 3000RPM which I think is excessive.
But, you could try the 2000 rpm version:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-a14-ippc-2000-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835608047?Item=9SIB66RKB00584
You can always lower the rpm if need be.
i did some digging and found that the Top Red Front fan is a Arctic BioniX F120 which only can go up to 1800 Rpm. I have no clue what the pre-installed Fans are but i can see one of the front fans are running at 2000+ Rpm so that have to be the corsair one the one furthest down i have zero clue what is i got it second hand from a friend and it runs 300-900 Rpm from what i've seen with HWMonitor

So you suggest getting Two 140mm fans in the front instead

What about putting One or Two Fans below the GPU the PSU Shroud should allow 2 120mm fans installed

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
There is mistake #1, IMO. You have a confused OS.
i ended up installing Windows 11 and then doing a Reset PC keeping my files i don't know if that counts as a Fresh installment of windows if not i suppose i need to find someone with a USB with windows on it and do it the right way

kanewolf

Titan
i ended up installing Windows 11 and then doing a Reset PC keeping my files i don't know if that counts as a Fresh installment of windows if not i suppose i need to find someone with a USB with windows on it and do it the right way
You should download the Windows installer from MS website. That is the safest option. Anything else and you have no idea if there is any malware or viruses.

Reactions: geofelt

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
You should download the Windows installer from MS website. That is the safest option. Anything else and you have no idea if there is any malware or viruses.
Does that require a USB to do so? because i don't own a USB that's big enough to have windows on it i have a friend who does i can ask him or get a repair shop to help i guess?

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
HWinfo or HWmonitor can give you the actual current,minimum and maximum fan speeds.
Yeah i'm using HWmonitor

CPU Fan min speed have been 988 Max speed been 1469
Fanin1 min speed have been 1510 Max speed been 1638
fanin2 min speed have been 354 max speed have been 414
Fanin4 min speed have been 936 max speed have been 1280

That's all the fan speeds i can see
Besides GPU which all run Min speed of 1100 to 1376 max speed

Note all these values are from having chrome open and playing Valorant while i wait for replys on here xD

Does that require a USB to do so? because i don't own a USB that's big enough to have windows on it
it doesn't need to be large enough to hold the entire Windows installation, just the installer files which should be ~8GB.
the latest available OS distribution will be downloaded and installed from the USB drive.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
it doesn't need to be large enough to hold the entire Windows installation, just the installer files which should be ~8GB.
the latest available OS distribution will be downloaded and installed from the USB drive.

Do you guys think a Fresh installment would sort all the issues with my GPU getting that hot

Or should i get 2x 140mm fans in the front that round around the 2000 rpm and a fresh installment of windows?