[SOLVED] Upgraded Ram and Now the Computer Shows No Display Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2020
I have a prebuilt IBuyPower BB960 and I've kept the parts it came with until I started playing Escape From Tarkov and needed more Ram. It came with a Adata XPG DDR4 8GB 2666mhz in the 2nd slot and I tried to add a HyperX Fury 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM 1Rx8 HX426C16FB3/8 in the 4th slot. At first it started powered on and off every 2-3seconds, but then I got it to power on with just the old ram in but it doesn't send the display signal to my monitor. I've read online/talked to some people and they pointed towards resetting BIOS but I don't know much about computers and I don't want to mess it up any more than I have.

CPU-9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-9400F processor
GPU-NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphics
Motherboard-TUF B360M-Plus Gaming

1 TB Hardrive 120GB SSD

Thanks in Advance

Solution
Was the power supply disconnected from the wall before working on it?

Try
First disconnect power cord from psu. Hold case power button for 30 seconds to discharge capacitors.

Put case on it's side so you're working on a level motherboard.

Remove ram and put them somewhere safe.

Remove the motherboard battery for a couple of minutes. Remember which side it goes back.

After cmos battery is returned, whilst case is still on it's side, place ram firmly in the 2nd slot from cpu. Try boot as is.

Try each ram separately if you're not getting anywhere. Discharge capacitors first each time before removing/adding components.

If post is successful with 1 stick then try them both. Possibly switching ram around in opposite slots.
Mixing memory can lead to issues, but I have also often seen memory sticks that were not seated all the way causing the start, run for 2 seconds, and restart symptom you describe.

No video can mean a lot of things:
  1. Did you plug your monitor into the HDMI (I assume) on the motherboard or the video card. Because that CPU has no integrated GPU, the on-board HDMI (or DVI) would give you no signal.
  2. Did you knock the GPU out of it's socket when working. The memory slots are very close to the GPU slot on that board.
  3. Something else may have been knocked loose.

Adding and removing memory sticks is a pretty safe thing, but one should ensure the power to the computer is off (ie, PSU unplugged). Even when a computer is shutdown, there is still power to the motherboard.

Clearing the BIOS is described on page 1-3. It's fairly simple and safe. Unplug the computer. Short the 2 pins for a couple seconds and then plug the computer back in and turn on. Many people will just pull the battery instead. Similar steps; Unplug the computer, remove the battery for a couple seconds (some people will say minutes .. that's nuts), put the battery back in, and plug the computer back in. This resets the BIOS to how it was when it left the factory.

Feb 10, 2020
Mixing memory can lead to issues, but I have also often seen memory sticks that were not seated all the way causing the start, run for 2 seconds, and restart symptom you describe.

1. Did you plug your monitor into the HDMI (I assume) on the motherboard or the video card. Because that CPU has no integrated GPU, the on-board HDMI (or DVI) would give you no signal.
  2. Did you knock the GPU out of it's socket when working. The memory slots are very close to the GPU slot on that board.
Adding and removing memory sticks is a pretty safe thing, but one should ensure the power to the computer is off (ie, PSU unplugged). Even when a computer is shutdown, there is still power to the motherboard.

Clearing the BIOS is described on page 1-3. It's fairly simple and safe. Unplug the computer. Short the 2 pins for a couple seconds and then plug the computer back in and turn on. Many people will just pull the battery instead. Similar steps; Unplug the computer, remove the battery for a couple seconds (some people will say minutes .. that's nuts), put the battery back in, and plug the computer back in. This resets the BIOS to how it was when it left the factory.

My HDMI is plugged into the GPU, but I will check the GPU socket and other wires when I get home. I will also try to reset the BIOS if everything else looks like its plugged in correctly.

Thank you for the answer and I'll reply after with the results!

Feb 10, 2020

Just tried to reset the BIOS in both ways that you suggested and it seems that there still isn't a display signal being sent. I checked the graphics card and the wires around it and they all seem to be fitting pretty snug. Not quite sure how to go about it.

Jan 31, 2020
Have you tested a different HDMI cable? Normally the first step in troubleshooting but don't know why this would occur all of a sudden.

Sounds more like a PSU problem perhaps. Can you observe noises made by the PC when turned on? How hard are the fans running? Any buzzing or clicking sounds? Beeping? Any sounds wether they seem normal or not please.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Try
First disconnect power cord from psu. Hold case power button for 30 seconds to discharge capacitors.

Remove the motherboard battery for a couple of minutes. Remember which side it goes back.

After cmos battery is returned, whilst case is still on it's side, place ram firmly in the 2nd slot from cpu. Try boot as is.

Try each ram separately if you're not getting anywhere. Discharge capacitors first each time before removing/adding components.

If post is successful with 1 stick then try them both. Possibly switching ram around in opposite slots.

Solution
Feb 10, 2020
Have you tested a different HDMI cable? Normally the first step in troubleshooting but don't know why this would occur all of a sudden.

Sounds more like a PSU problem perhaps. Can you observe noises made by the PC when turned on? How hard are the fans running? Any buzzing or clicking sounds? Beeping? Any sounds wether they seem normal or not please.

Thank you for the help I ended up getting it fixed.

Feb 10, 2020

Try

Thank you for the help, I did what you said with the ram in each spot and it ended up working.

Status
Not open for further replies.