Question Upgraded to 4060 Ti from 1080 but getting the same frames

Apr 28, 2024
I purchased 4060 Ti and upgraded from a 1080 and im still getting the same frames in games like cs2. The GPU upgrade did not boost fps in any games. NVidia overlay gives CPU and GPU utilization of about 45% on both. In a game like cs2. Im thinking such a "big" upgrade should boost FPS atleast a little bit. Any ideas what could be the cause of this? I already did a clean installation of GPU drivers through NVidia.

Here are my other specs :
CPU : Intel Core i7 7700 3.60 Ghz (Does reach around 85C and above while gaming. Dont know if that matters though)
RAM : 32 Gt Dual-channel DDR4 1197 MHz
MOBO : Acer Predator G3-710 (U3E1)
GPU : 4091MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti. (Old was 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080)
Monitor : 1920x1080@144Hz
PSU : Dont know the name. Its 500W (I can find out if necessary, also the GPU had a PSU recommendation of 650W)

Any help would be appriciated on locating the cause of this problem/how to solve it. (If its caused by the CPU or PSU for example)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU : Dont know the name. Its 500W (I can find out if necessary, also the GPU had a PSU recommendation of 650W)
How old is the unit? You will need to mention the make and model of the unit though. If the unit is a as old as the processor and powered a GTX1080 till 204, then yes you're in need of a new PSU.

Did you run DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode from your platform before you removed the GTX1080? You will need to manually reinstall the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
I purchased 4060 Ti and upgraded from a 1080 and im still getting the same frames in games like cs2. The GPU upgrade did not boost fps in any games. NVidia overlay gives CPU and GPU utilization of about 45% on both. In a game like cs2. Im thinking such a "big" upgrade should boost FPS atleast a little bit. Any ideas what could be the cause of this? I already did a clean installation of GPU drivers through NVidia.

Here are my other specs :
CPU : Intel Core i7 7700 3.60 Ghz (Does reach around 85C and above while gaming. Dont know if that matters though)
RAM : 32 Gt Dual-channel DDR4 1197 MHz
MOBO : Acer Predator G3-710 (U3E1)
GPU : 4091MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti. (Old was 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080)
Monitor : 1920x1080@144Hz

Any help would be appriciated on locating the cause of this problem/how to solve it. (If its caused by the CPU or PSU for example)
That CPU is a bit long in the tooth, but it shouldn't affect performance negatively unless it is overheating.

Try cleaning the CPU heatsink and re-applying fresh thermal paste to see if those temperatures improve.

As for the power supply, if it's a no-name I wouldn't bet on it being able to safely deliver even the rated 500W. If you don't want your expensive new GPU to be damaged you should consider shelling out for a decent brand name CPU. Going with 850W Seasonic would future-proof you for a while but even 650W would be OK if you can't afford more.

Some games are limited by graphics, some are limited by cpu.
Games like CS2 are cpu limited and dependent on single thread performance.
Do not think that just because your cpu utilization is 45% that you have plenty of cpu capability.
I7-7700 has 8 processing threads. If one of them was 100% loaded, your cpu utilization would show as 1/8 or 12.5%
Unfortunately, you have no worthwhile cpu upgrade without a motherboard upgrade also.

For future reference,
One way to determine if a graphics card upgrade is worthwhile is to run a test with your games but lower the resolution or quality settings to let the gpu loaf.
If performance improves then a graphics upgrade will do some good.

Reactions: 35below0

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you still have 1080?

Should experiment with more games, games that have built in benchmarks like Far Cry and Dying Light to name a couple, even Time Spy. Write down or take photo of results to compare.

I agree 7700 is getting on but 4060Ti isn't exactly that much more demanding over the 1080, like 30~40%? 7700's fps limits wouldn't stop at 1080 level but wouldn't be far off id imagine, it would have some room left to see some improvement. Just need to try more games really, you'll probably find there are improvements with other titles not as cpu taxing like Cs2 as said. Cs2 is more on cpu side and an old quad can only do so much before fps is sacrificed, like with any cpu heavy game really, these days even 6 cores are struggling. Increasing resolution with dsr and you'd probably would find the card does actually perform better if did the same with the 1080.

Reactions: PEnns

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Liteon psus are common in oem PC's which i guess what yours is. That psu is 432w on 12v rail powering the graphics card. It lasted this long with 1080 that's true but i wouldn't continue to be comfortable with it really. I'd change it to something like Corsair Rm 650w at least.

As suggested above, the reason there is no massive boost in FPS, is because your CPU is the determining factor.

The CPU sends pre-rendered frames as fast as it can to the GPU. Lets say 100 pre-rendered frames per second (for arguments sake). The GPU then takes that data and does all it's magic and displays it on screen. The GPU can only display frames as fast as the CPU in the system can send them. For some games, jumping up to the 4060ti will bring a big boost, as those games are GPU heavy. On the other hand, some games are CPU heavy and so you get very little by way of an increase in FPS whilst the CPU remains the same. It really depends on the game. Those games CPU heavy will have low GPU usage typically.