Question Upgraded to AMD 5700x, BIOS ok, then shuts down after a few sec in Win

Feb 4, 2023
Hi, maybe someone has some ideas what to do next?

I upgraded my AMD 2600 to 5700x, Steps:

Upgraded BIOS to 5.20, still on the old 2600 CPU, working fine, no issues.
Changed CPU to 5700x, I can get to BIOS, I see the processor, RAM, CPU temp just above 50C.
After the first restart after the CPU change I got fTPM/PSP NV corrupted message, selected Yes
Then I was getting to Win login screen and … system shuts down. The same situation after each restart.
In between I was powering down, unplugging the whole comp.

What I tried so far:
  • Putting only one RAM in (8GB), checking both slots, both RAMs
  • Changing GPU to older one (GTX970), to see maybe it was due to insufficient power
  • Disconnecting old WD HDD
  • Reinstalling Win, sometimes I get through the full ‘installing files’ screen, sometimes it shuts down during it
  • Double checked Mobo guidance, so downgraded BIOS to 4.80 recommended for 5700x
  • Tried to see if any pins on CPU are bent, I don’t think so.
  • CMOS clearing (couldn’t find the cap, so used a screwdriver), not sure if it worked as I had to do it without GPU in, just short-circuited it for over 5sec when on
Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x, stock Fan (from Ryzen 2600)
Mobo: AsRock B-450 Gaming-ITX/ac
GPU: RTX 3070Ti FE
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2x8GB, 2666MHz, CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
Ssd: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 (228) PCIe 3.0
Ssd: Samsung 2.5-Inch 120 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive
Ssd: Crucial CT256M550SSD1 256GB M550 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch
HDD: WD 1 TB Performance Hard Drive - Black
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 650W Power Supply, Full Modular, 80 Plus Gold
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S ITX Gaming Case
Monitor: LG UltraGear 27GP850 Quad HD 27" Nano IPS LCD

Lutfij

Titan
Did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was successfully update to the latest version?

CMOS clearing (couldn’t find the cap, so used a screwdriver), not sure if it worked as I had to do it without GPU in, just short-circuited it for over 5sec when on
You're best off removing the CMOS battery from the board entirely(while the system is disconnected from the wall and display) and then replaced after 30 mins.

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 650W Power Supply, Full Modular, 80 Plus Gold
How old is the PSU?

I'd hunch the PSU being your issue since the RTX3000 series have been known to have a high transient load spikes. An aged PSU will not output the same amount of power it did when brand new. You could test this hunch by sourcing(borrow, not buy) a PSU with more wattage than your entire platform needs.

What are you using to cool that processor?

Feb 4, 2023
Did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was successfully update to the latest version?

No, I did it after a few other steps.

You're best off removing the CMOS battery from the board entirely(while the system is disconnected from the wall and display) and then replaced after 30 mins.

Will try that, just looking for the battery. I can only see something like that attached to the audio block?
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#Specification

How old is the PSU?

13 months, yes I was thinking the power could be an issue, that is why I went for GTX970 and disconnected HDD. But, I thought 5700x would be less power hungry than 2600?

What are you using to cool that processor?

Stock AMD fan, HW monitor in BIOS shows low temps 50-60C.

Feb 4, 2023
An update: I did disconnect CMOS battery for almost an hour, all power disconnected, including the monitor, speakers etc. This time I managed to do a full windows installation, and the power shut down was just after I log into the windows.

(and yes, the battery is glued to the side of the audio unit).

I was to change my PSU anyway, so might try it. Going for 850/1000w, depending on the prices.

Feb 4, 2023
Decided to go for better cooling first, because it looked like maybe this is not working properly. I did use some old thermal paste during the initial CPU change, and I noticed that backplate on mobo was loose, so not 100% sure I installed it correctly (it does not help that the backplate was hidden under the SSDs).

Anyway, installed Noctua NH-U9S, properly to the backplate, used a new paste. First difference is that temps in Bios stay low 38C, while previously these were rising to 50C.

Managed to install Firefox and some drivers, running HW info in the background: temps around 55C, but then during the NVIDIA driver install the temp jumped to 69C and computer shuts down again.

Any ideas?

Edit: I've now changed the critical temp shutdown in BIOS from 75C to 90C, but again once it reaches 69C in Win it does shut down.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023
Last update:

PC suts down at 70C for CPU. I've seen a few people having the same issue and disabling core perfromance boost in BIOS helped them. For me it lowerd the intital temps, but when testing once it gets to 70C it does shut down.

Asrock was quick to respond and helpful (despite the fact the Mobo was bought 4 years ago), made suggestions on the cleaning and re-instaling the cooler. They also tested on their own Mobo and the same CPU with no issue, so I guess it is bad luck.

I also tested on a new 850w PSU, no success.

Will be sending back CPU. Dissapointed, but run out of ideas.