[SOLVED] Upgraded to RTX 2080ti, now have FPS drops in Chrome, Firefox, and other applications

Oct 14, 2019
My problem: I am experiencing framerate drops when playing videos in Chrome or Firefox, and these drops are worse when I keep the mouse still. I am also experiencing frame drops when browsing websites; even when I move the mouse, I can visibly see the frame drop through the motion of the mouse, and my monitor's FPS counter also shows the drop. A third frame drop occurs if I am playing a game while I have youtube videos paused in the background. The game will have noticeably lower frame rate. However, this frame drop with videos paused in background did not occur when I was using a GTX 970.

I upgraded to a 2080ti from a 970 because I wanted to go for 4k gaming and a triple monitor setup. I have been having this issue for a few months now, and I have not been able to figure this out based on posts of people having similar problems.

edit: in addition, this frame drop isn't always constant. Right now, I'm sitting at 120 Hz consistently for the past 5 minutes, on everything I'm running, but no idea why. Following past trends, this will change randomly later.

Specs:
  • i7-4790K @ 4.2 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM (DDR3)
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti
  • EVGA 850W power supply
  • Monitors: ACER XB273K 27", Samsung Q60R 43", Planar Touch Screen 22" (frame drops also occurred when only using the ACER 4K monitor).
  • edit: on Windows 8.1
Things I have checked:
  • I have checked CPU usage with Windows resource monitor, CPU usage increases when moving mouse and frame rate increases, drops when mouse is not moving
  • Drivers are up to date according to GeForce Experience (have not tried using Display Driver Uninstaller, as I believe I did uninstall and reinstall drivers properly, would like this to be last resort)
  • Chrome hardware acceleration disabled,
  • VSYNC settings in games
  • NVIDIA Control panel set to maximize quality (I'm running a 2080ti, this should not have an affect on youtube videos)
  • restarting my computer (even with most programs closed, frame drops will occur even if chrome is the only resource hogging program running).
  • Mouse polling (on windows 8.1, this is set low anyway right?)

Any help or suggestions on what to do? Thanks.

Solution
Only suggestion I would give you is to use a driver cleaner tool and reinstall the latest driver. This really should have been your first step in trying to solve the problem.
Oct 14, 2019
Only suggestion I would give you is to use a driver cleaner tool and reinstall the latest driver. This really should have been your first step in trying to solve the problem.

Fair enough. Initially, most feedback I saw on the internet involved checking if drivers were updated, so since mine were current I didn't think about them too much. Today I found the pinned article on this forum about properly updating the drivers, but I didn't want to do a clean install right away since I have some background processes that I really didn't want to terminate on this computer.

I will do the clean install tomorrow and report back. If there are other courses of action please let me know, so I can try them if the clean install doesn't work.

Are the frame drops in the game, or on another screen (or both)? If in the game, are you adjusting settings in order to utilize the better video card?

There are a couple situations with frame drops.
  1. When I have frame drops in game, the game itself will have frame drops when it is the main active process in the foreground. There are also sometimes frame drops on applications running in the other monitors, but I sort of expected that, though it would be nice to not have those drops so I can have a video going in the other monitor if possible. For these situations, I've checked ingame settings to make sure they were what I expected. This situation is usually resolved by closing other applications. However, other than checking for VSYNC/GSYNC, what else would you mean by "adjusting settings in order to utilize the better video card"?
  2. When not running games, and instead playing a youtube video or watching netflix as the only running application, I will experience frame drops in the video to about 10-20 fps if the mouse is NOT moving. I have experienced this on both Firefox and Chrome. This is probably my main gripe. I tried checking for trojans, but Malwarebytes came up with nothing, and none of the processes in resource monitor came up as shady.
Another tidbit I was told by someone today was that Chrome will still hog VRAM even if a video is paused or minimized. Not sure if it was true or not, but it made sense. My issue is that I didn't have these problems on my GTX 970, so I guess that would point mostly to a driver problem.

I think the problem you are having is resources, not necessarily power. Am I correct in assuming that you are running all three screens off the 2080? The integrated video on the 4790k can run a youtube video or Netflix show. Let it do so. Use your new video card for games. See if that works better.

Oct 21, 2019
Hi, you can the following solution (it worked for me) :
  1. Open nvidia control panel
  2. Go to "Manage 3D Settings" tab on the left
  3. On "Global Settings" on the right, search for "Monitor Technology".
  4. If you have a G-SYNC monitor,select G-SYNC and apply.
  5. If you don't have a G-SYNC monitor, select "Fixed Refresh".

If this does not work, you can try following the same strps, except using "Program Settings" tab instead of "Global Settings". While doing this, you must select the browser and apply fixed refresh.

Hope this helps !

TRENDING THREADS