[SOLVED] Upgraded to Ryzen 9 5900x but Won't Boot into Windows

M_hargreaves98

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
Upgrading from a ryzen 7 3600x to a ryzen 9 5900x, but the 5900x won't boot past the BIOS Screen. It flashes to the BIOS Screen then goes black.

I've updated to the latest BIOS version and tried booting with one stick of RAM, but same result, flashes BIOS Screen then goes black.
I've swapped back and forth between 5900x and 3600x, 3600x boots into Windows just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I boot from an SSD and need to enable Compatibility Mode in the BIOS before the Motherboard/3700x will boot using the drive, I've of course enabled mode this with the 5900x but still nothing.

Currently Working Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550M-A (BIOS Version 2806)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3600x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
RAM: 4x8GB, DDR4 @ 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Solution
Hi, thanks for the responses.

TLDR; I've got the 5900x working. Don't change BIOS settings on first boot.

I did a CMOS reset by shorting the pins and removed the coin cell battery both with no CPU installed. I installed the 5900x and it booted into the BIOS after the motherboard detected the new CPU. This had happened before so I don't think resetting the CMOS solved my problem.
On previous attempts when I was sent into the BIOS I changed the Compatibility Mode on because I thought that it won't boot into Windows if that's not on, so might as well turn that on whilst I'm in here.
On this attempt I thought what if I just did nothing and did a boot cycle. So I save and exited the BIOS it now booted past the BIOS screen and brought a...
Upgrading from a ryzen 7 3600x to a ryzen 9 5900x, but the 5900x won't boot past the BIOS Screen. It flashes to the BIOS Screen then goes black.

I've updated to the latest BIOS version and tried booting with one stick of RAM, but same result, flashes BIOS Screen then goes black.
I've swapped back and forth between 5900x and 3600x, 3600x boots into Windows just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I boot from an SSD and need to enable Compatibility Mode in the BIOS before the Motherboard/3700x will boot using the drive, I've of course enabled mode this with the 5900x but still nothing.

Currently Working Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550M-A (BIOS Version 2806)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3600x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
RAM: 4x8GB, DDR4 @ 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Have you reset CMOS?

And, of course, updated BIOS to the latest for your motherboard.

Last: were you using BitLocker drive encryption? if so you may need to save your keys to a USB drive OR decrypt the drive before swapping processors. After the swap you can enable encryption again.

Hi, I have reset CMOS, updated my boards BIOS, and I am not using BitLocker on the SSD.
Could it be a hardware issue with CPU?
Thanks.

Using this method to reset CMOS has helped me in the past:

First is to reset CMOS after the new processor is installed. Remove the coin cell battery and as well short the reset pins for several minutes. Then reassemble and try starting the computer.

Last edited:

M_hargreaves98

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
Hi, thanks for the responses.

TLDR; I've got the 5900x working. Don't change BIOS settings on first boot.

I did a CMOS reset by shorting the pins and removed the coin cell battery both with no CPU installed. I installed the 5900x and it booted into the BIOS after the motherboard detected the new CPU. This had happened before so I don't think resetting the CMOS solved my problem.
On previous attempts when I was sent into the BIOS I changed the Compatibility Mode on because I thought that it won't boot into Windows if that's not on, so might as well turn that on whilst I'm in here.
On this attempt I thought what if I just did nothing and did a boot cycle. So I save and exited the BIOS it now booted past the BIOS screen and brought a screen up that told me that if I had enabled BitLocker that I would need a key unlock the drive, or it won't enable the new CPU, I don't had BitLocker enabled so I chose that option, it then did two boot cycles, and then entered the BIOS, this is what the 3700x before I turned Compatibility Mode on, so I enabled that and it booted straight into Windows.

Thanks again for the replies.

Solution
... this is what the 3700x before I turned Compatibility Mode on, so I enabled that and it booted straight into Windows.

Thanks again for the replies.
So it appears your system drive is configured in MBR partitioning scheme. When the BIOS is not in compatibility mode it's in UEFI mode which requires the system drive be configured in GPT partitioning scheme.

There are significant advantages to using UEFI mode operation which allows Windows' Secure Boot. That's a security strategy that's largely eliminated the root kit exploits that hijack your system drive until you pay a ransom for the key to remove it.

TRENDING THREADS