upgraded to strix 1080 SLI while streaming and barely any performance increases

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gabrielcro

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Hello, I've worked as a streamer for many years. No matter what set up I have tried to get, I have never been able to maximize my set up to stream @ 1080p/60fps whilst still having 144-180fps in game. As a competitive player every frame is important to me, even though for the stream anything above 60 doesn't matter.

My previous set up was a 1080, 32gb ram, i7 6700k. I could stream and play games like Overwatch whilst maintaining 80-120 fps so it was playable. Battlegrounds would run at a constant 60-80 fps with little to no frame drops. However I always noticed intel 4-core processors bottle-necking when playing and streaming at the same time. With the stream off, I'd max out to 144fps for nearly any game at nearly any setting, with the stream on I'd get like 30-60% performance decrease in game. The next best thing was 10-core which are like $2k so I decided to just try the Ryzen 1800x 8-core

My current set up is the 1800x, 2 1080's, 32gb ram. Temps all seem normal, I overclocked the 1800x to 4.0ghz. I messed around with overclocking the 1080s and saw no performance increase but a temperature increase so I reverted. After switching to this new set up, I expected at least a 20-40% increase in performance while streaming. Instead what I got was a 20-40% decrease in performance while streaming and while not streaming. Actually, my frame rate stays the same with the stream on or off which is extremely odd. The current game I'm playing, Battlegrounds, does not seem to support SLI very well. I messed with some profiles and got both my 1080s to do some workload. At first GPU1 was 50% work load and GPU2 was 2-4%, and now they're both 30-40%. I assume something is wrong? Shouldn't they both be 60%+?

As far as drivers go, I assume I got all the right drivers. I tried installing GeForce experience but it just looked like a garbage filler program with no support for Battlegrounds anyways. SLI is enabled, G-Sync is enabled, I've tried fullscreen and windowed modes, no difference in quality really. I've tried playing on the lowest settings and my frame rate ranges between 30-90, with massive framedrops whenever guns are fired/terrain changes. On my previous set up that never happened and framerate was a nice stable 70~

Now I know battlegrounds is not a well-designed game and doesn't properly support SLI, but there is no reason I should get a decrease in performance after clearly upgrading my PC. So I have no idea what the issue could be, I'd appreciate any suggestions~ thanks!

Solution

gabrielcro

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

I have a spare RM750x on hand, I assumed the PSU unit didn't really matter at all, and I'm not really overclocking any more. Should I swap my current psu for the RM750x? I don't really feel like buying another, even just changing it is a hassle (opening case, unscrewing psu, fishing all the cables I put under the case, unplugging everything back in, putting new psu in, screwing it back in, plugging everything back in, putting all the cables under the case again, closing the case)

It's like a 3 hour shitshow lol

I understand that it's a lot of work but you are compromising the safety of your hardware. You should have never put this PSU in a gaming rig anyway, especially when you had the excellent RM750x

gabrielcro

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

The truth is I didn't have all the cables for the RM750x, I left them in another house. So I just quickly bought this CX750M without thinking about it too much. I was missing one of those type4 pin connectors you plug into the GPU. I have all the other cables. Could I just take 1 of the CX750M's GPU power connectors and just plug it into the RM750x? It's a type4, I think they're exactly the same, nothing could go wrong, right?

gabrielcro

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

I have a H11Oi cooler for the CPU, that's liquid cooling.. I think? I mean there are fans on the radiator but I think the CPU is being cooled by liquid

gabrielcro

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Ok I'll switch out the PSU and let you guys know if there's any difference. It really bothers me that just because I lost one of these pin connectors I had to buy a brand new (crappy) PSU.. I basically wasted $80 for a goddamn type4 pin connector to the PSU. I mean I could've probably contacted corsair and got it directly from them, but then I'd have to wait weeks, maybe months, for a stupid cable that just connects to the PSU and it's probably worth like 50 cents. I went to local microcenters and bestbuys and they didn't have the cables separately, only brand new PSUs, and I didn't know anything about PSUs and the employees there probably know less than me

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Then you should try a remount. No reason for those temps with water cooling.

What are you using to overclock the CPU? AMD's software? Or the bios? Have you adjusted your voltage accordingly?

Solution