Question Upgraded to Win 10 and now getting ataport.sys BSOD randomly (dump file info included)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 19, 2019
Wow, I really didn't know Defender is that good. I have somehow always thought that it's something that people look down to. I don't even know from where I got that thought. But good to know.

So should I remove Avast anyway now, or did I get it right; now I just wait if the BSOD shows up again? It's been a week now and not a single BSOD. When I got them, I got them often. Like everyday and some days two to four times or so. I got many before I made Windows to record dump files so there was many more than what I uploaded. And now a whole week without a single one.

If the problem is somehow already solved, I feel a bit disappointed actually. Lol I guess I should be glad but. All the effort you and me have put into this and the problem is gone and we never got to know what was exactly going on.

One thing I would like to do, is to set the AHCI mode on, could I do that or is it better to wait if the BSOD problem is really gone, and then do it so we don't blame that change for nothing?

E: And maybe switch from Avast to Bitdefender? While using Defender as well of course :)

PC Tailor

Dignified
Herald
now I just wait if the BSOD shows up again? It's been a week now and not a single BSOD.
If you haven't wait until you get one (although hopefully you don't). If things seem to have gotten better, then just don't change anything else. If you get another BSOD, then we can look again.

Methodically removing modules and waiting is the best way as it allows us to retrace the last step to find the cause. If we do too many steps in one go then it can be hard to identify which step fixed the issue.

Avast has from my experience caused various issues before, as an AV does. Just from my experience Bitdefender ISN'T much trouble and always one of the top AV in the industry.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019
Ok, I will just wait for now. I almost kinda hope that the BSOD will turn up again, it vanished too suddenly and we didn't got to the detail of what was/is wrong. It seems our (your mostly) work was for nothing. Well maybe not. I learned a lot during this, and it was fun too. But then again, it's nice to have pc not crashing (fingers crossed) and you too probably have better things to do. But now I will just wait, and if the BSOD is really gone, I'll do the IDE->AHCI change at some point and nothing more. I will post here when/if the BSOD comes again. I hope you'll read it even after a while. You are probably still debating about AV's :) But thanks for everything so far! I stand in awe, how polite, helpful and patient you have been. :)

PC Tailor

Dignified
Herald
you too probably have better things to do.
Why else do you think we spend all of our time on here! :LOL:

I stand in awe, how polite, helpful and patient you have been. :)
Yes, now leave us alone!

Nah of course, always happy to help my friend, hopefully it is the last of it, but no worries if it isn't, it's not an exact science, just let us know and we can go further. No rush to close the thread, we'd rather the problem is definitely solved first!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts