Upgraded to Win10 using HDD - Now I want to do clean install in new SSD

Solution
Depending on how your HDD was formatted in the first place, reformatting could be either quick-and-easy, or a little bit time-consuming.

When you finish installation onto SSD, plug your HDD as well, then go to BIOS, and make deadly sure your first boot device is SSD, then boot off it. Check that you 've actually booted off SSD (eg your C: should containg only the fresh Windows install).

To reformat your old HDD: Open Disk Manager, then delete all partitions on that HDD. Again, make sure you've selected the correct drive (you can judge by looking at drive sizes). Create a new partition, and format it.
1. You post a question, and ninety minutes later - BUMP! No one runs shifts at TH, don't be desperate!

2. Using the Download tool on Microsoft page you've mentioned, download ISO image for your current Windows version, then burn it to DVD (or make a bootable USB). Unplug your current HDD, plug your SSD, do a clean install, activate your copy. Once you're happy - just reformat your HDD, and use it for storage.

Jared_7

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Thank you so much so I should just unplug the HDD while I do the new OS install. Would you mind expanding on "reformat your HDD" like what does that do and how is it done.

Also sorry for the quick bump it just seemed like people who posted after me were being answered so I thought my post was overlooked.

Thanks again!

Depending on how your HDD was formatted in the first place, reformatting could be either quick-and-easy, or a little bit time-consuming.

When you finish installation onto SSD, plug your HDD as well, then go to BIOS, and make deadly sure your first boot device is SSD, then boot off it. Check that you 've actually booted off SSD (eg your C: should containg only the fresh Windows install).

To reformat your old HDD: Open Disk Manager, then delete all partitions on that HDD. Again, make sure you've selected the correct drive (you can judge by looking at drive sizes). Create a new partition, and format it.

Solution
If you are using the free Win10 upgrade, you will need to follow these steps to get a fully activated installation on the SSD:

0. Create bootable Win10 USB stick using the MS tool.
1. Install Win8.1 onto SSD and fully activate it.
2. Upgrade to Win10 using free upgrade.
3. Write down new Win10 license key.
4. Reformat and clean install Win10 on the SSD.
5. Use license key you wrote down to activate.

This is because Win10 is keyed to your exact hardware. If you don't do it this way, Win10 on the SSD will not activate. Yes it's a pain in the butt, but that's what comes with a free upgrade from MS.

@Leaps,
Your "procedure" is misleading at least, and wrong at several points:

2. Current Microsoft download of Windows 10 is Build 10586, which does not require previous installation in order to be activated. Once previous Windows 8 was activated, the PC is already in Microsoft' database, so it will be automatically activated upon Win 10 install.
3. The license key (it's called "activation key") is never displayed, nor there are Microsoft tools for that.

I wonder why I had to do that then. I downloaded the MS tool and created my USB stick about two weeks ago. It wouldn't take my keys for previous versions of Windows (Win7 and Win8, both genuine and fully activated at one time, but no longer used).

The procedure I listed is what I did originally when I first installed Win10 months ago, so I tried it again and it worked.

And no there aren't MS tools for the key, but the software that shows it is regular temperature monitoring and stress testing software installed on millions of computers.

If that's not the way it's supposed to go, fine. I'm just saying what I had to do just two weeks ago.

Jared_7

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

What? So I can't just use the usb drive to install Windows free right away I first have to use my windows 8.1? I thought that I could only use that disk once? Or it works with just my pc and I can use it multiple times?

The first Windows 10 build (10240) needed either Windows 10 activation key for fresh install, or should be installed over activated Windows 7/8.
Current 10586 build allows for fresh install with either retail Windows 7/8 keys, Windows 7 OEM keys, or (again fresh) install over previously-activated Windows 8 hardware. Windows 7 OEM. This build was released couple of weeks ago, so @Leaps' install could have happened with previous builds.