Upgradeing PC useing same Windows key

Bubba2000

Honorable
Jul 31, 2014
So I'm upgradeing my PC and plan on changing out the moutherbord and CPU wich means a fresh install of Windows, currently I have it installed on a hdd and when I upgrade I plan on putting it on an ssd. I'm not shure how to delete the Windows on the old hdd without losing all my old stuff... What I'm trying to ask is can I put Windows on the ssd while useing the same product key as I have on my hdd or would I have to re buy Windows or format my drive? Sorry if that is confusing.

(I have the full Windows, not the oem)

Solution

Greetings, Bubba:

If I understand your situation correctly:

1. On your HDD: Insert a USB and go to 'Backup using File History' in Settings>Update & Security. Click 'Add a drive' and select the USB drive. If...

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Greetings, Bubba:

If I understand your situation correctly:

1. On your HDD: Insert a USB and go to 'Backup using File History' in Settings>Update & Security. Click 'Add a drive' and select the USB drive. If you're already using File History, Windows will have chosen the C drive. Click 'More options' and then 'Stop using drive'. Go back to the previous page and click 'Add a drive'.

2. Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and use the ISO to create a bootable USB (not to be confused with the USB you used earlier).

3. Plug in the SSD and the bootable USB. Restart.

4. When the system restarts the first time (after the coundown), remove the bootable USB.

5. If you have a Microsoft Account, activation will happen automatically once you log in. If you don't you have to click the Activation button.

6. Insert the File History USB and import your files.

With Windows 10 the PK is activated from a Microsoft server. This means that when your Win10 is activated on the SSD it is automatically deactivated on your HDD. At least if you have an MSA. I don't know the details with Local Accounts.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution