Upgrades for Dell Optiplex 380?

spacemancraig

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
With Budget in mind because this is just a side computer really, I have a pretty decent one I built from scratch for $700 I just want to put some small upgrades in this one so it runs a little bit better. I want to upgrade the ram for sure as it only has one stick. Maybe just add one 4gb stick to it?
Other than that I see that the power supply is 255 which probably limits things.. I was thinking maybe a ram stick and a graphics card? But I'm guessing with a new graphics card I'll probably have to update the power supply.. I'd like to keep this under say $75 even maybe $50 because this will be mainly used as a internet/doc computer with maybe a game here or there that it can handle..

I appreciate any thoughts or advice

That is very option limited PC - you have only 2 RAM slots. Official max for RAM is only 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 PC3-8500.
However Crucial adviser gives up to 8 GB of DDR3 PC3-12800, which I will need extra time to verify. Which OS you have, is it 32 bit or 64 bit?
According to your power supply of 255 watt, you have Mini Tower, correct?

Something like this correct?

Dell-OptiPlex-380-Mini-Tower-Barebones-Case-Motherboard-PSU.jpg

What CPU you have now, give a model, not just a speed.

Your PSU can support up to GTX 750TI, which is too much money for your budget already, so settling at GT 740 or less is a good idea.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Assuming you have the mini-tower, the CPU Heatsink/Fan assembly blocks access where a dual slotted Graphics card can fit. You cannot change this almost NO ONE makes BTX compatible heatsinks. So you are fairly restricted on the graphics options. It has to only ONE slot of connectors in the back (there is no adjacent opening next to the PCI-E slot) and a fan/heatsink for the card to be single slotted or very short if it is dual slotted.

Hm, you are on the right track explaining the issue, let me show you exactly what is the problem here

THIS POST APPLICABLE TO MT (MINI TOWER) FORM FACTOR ONLY.

Unfortunately no card that is more than 7.5 inches long or 2 slots wide will PHYSICALLY FIT inside the case - it was found that only single bracket video card can fit due to BTX MOBO, where card internals facing upward towards PC internals, not ATX, where dual card design is blocking another PCI slot by facing downward.
If you prefer the card with beefier fan, then the length of the card must not exceed 7.5 inches, otherwise only "skinny" single bracket, single slot cards can physically fit.

Pictures below will prove my point.

View shows no room for dual bracket

01optilexgx620backviewe.jpg

Single bracket only, or you have to cut dual bracket in half

02optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

This is the other way to show my point

h6go.jpg

Here you can clearly see only single place for the bracket

03optiplexgx620insidean.jpg

Visual explanation

04optiplex755mt4.jpg

7.5 inches explained, also shown "obstacles"

05optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

This is the picture of actual "skinny" single slot video card (not sure which model)- perfect, "glove" fit.

06optiplex755mt3edit.jpg

GTX 750 TI can fit and will work, only one model MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti N750ti-2GD5TLP

But it is too expensive for a small budget.

So EVGA GeForce GT 740 02G-P4-3740-KR 2GB is cheaper

And more cheaper PNY GeForce GT 730 VCGGT7301D5LXPB 1GB

And more cheaper ASUS Radeon R7 240 R7240-2GD3-L 2GB

And very cheap GIGABYTE GeForce GT 720 GV-N720D3-1GL 1GB 64-Bit DDR3

However, one user reported speed issues with Optiplex 360, is it applicable to OP, can not say for sure:

Look for a reviewer Richard A.

So, GT 740 sounds like a good idea.