[SOLVED] Upgrades? Or new rig?

Feb 15, 2020
Hi All,

It has been a while that I have been thinking about my rig and if it needs an upgrade or not. In my opinion, an upgrade is not really needed, but what I am most concerned on is the longevity of it, as I really don't want it to break or something, so I was thinking if some tweaks could be made to it to ensure it stays alive and well. I am also thinking, is it worth upgrading maintaining? It is a pretty old build, about 4 years ago, so it might not worth actually do anything with it.

This is my build:
CPU: Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20 GHz, 6 MB Cache, 84 W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)
RAM: HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Black
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive
SSD: Kingston SSDNow A400 240GB SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SA400S37/240G)
GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9 380 G1 Gaming Graphics Card (4 GB, SOC, PCI-E)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS Intel Motherboard (H97 Plus, ATX, SATA Express, Socket 1150)
Power supply: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0500-KR)
Case: Cooler Master NSE-300-KKN1 N-Series N300 "USB 3.0, Mid Tower Case" Black

What I am aiming to achieve is durability (for example, better cooling system if it makes my system behave better) not a clear cut upgrade of everything, if it is possible. Don't really care about brands, color schemes or things like this, it could be as ugly as it possibly can, as long as it works and it gives me good performances (I am not in a good financial position to think about colors and stuff, even if I would really like to).

Thank you very much!!

Solution
Which one would you recommend?
The BEST are what are known as "double conversion". They generate an AC voltage from DC 100% of the time. They are expensive (several hundred $$), but the output is constant. APC lists these as the "smart UPS online".
The manufactures I would recommend are APC or Eaton. Try to get a UPS with a USB port. That way your PC can communicate with the UPS and be signaled to cleanly shutdown before the battery is exhausted. I use 1500VA units for all my hardware (which is overkill).

kanewolf

Titan
Hi All,

It has been a while that I have been thinking about my rig and if it needs an upgrade or not. In my opinion, an upgrade is not really needed, but what I am most concerned on is the longevity of it, as I really don't want it to break or something, so I was thinking if some tweaks could be made to it to ensure it stays alive and well. I am also thinking, is it worth upgrading maintaining? It is a pretty old build, about 4 years ago, so it might not worth actually do anything with it.

This is my build:
CPU: Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20 GHz, 6 MB Cache, 84 W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)
RAM: HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Black
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive
SSD: Kingston SSDNow A400 240GB SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SA400S37/240G)
GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9 380 G1 Gaming Graphics Card (4 GB, SOC, PCI-E)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS Intel Motherboard (H97 Plus, ATX, SATA Express, Socket 1150)
Power supply: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0500-KR)
Case: Cooler Master NSE-300-KKN1 N-Series N300 "USB 3.0, Mid Tower Case" Black

What I am aiming to achieve is durability (for example, better cooling system if it makes my system behave better) not a clear cut upgrade of everything, if it is possible. Don't really care about brands, color schemes or things like this, it could be as ugly as it possibly can, as long as it works and it gives me good performances (I am not in a good financial position to think about colors and stuff, even if I would really like to).

Thank you very much!!
For durability, the first upgrade is a high quality power source -- A UPS.

kanewolf

Titan
Which one would you recommend?
The BEST are what are known as "double conversion". They generate an AC voltage from DC 100% of the time. They are expensive (several hundred $$), but the output is constant. APC lists these as the "smart UPS online".
The manufactures I would recommend are APC or Eaton. Try to get a UPS with a USB port. That way your PC can communicate with the UPS and be signaled to cleanly shutdown before the battery is exhausted. I use 1500VA units for all my hardware (which is overkill).

Solution