Upgrading 5yr pc

bentzion

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Hello
Lately I started thinking about upgrading the components on my 5 yr pc.
My specs are
Intel dh67bl
I5 2500 non k
8 gb ram
Gtx 560 ti

I want to upgrade it mostly because I want to play games like bf1 maybe cod ww2 maybe another games on 1080p 60fps

I thought about buying a gtx 1060 maybe another stick of ram a good ssd and maybe a psu to be sure my pc won't be damaged or something (i think mine's generic)

If I u guys think I need bigger upgrade including all the rig maybe I'll do it but it will take me some time saving some money but I won't do it if it's not necessary so much

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't spend too much on this old system, so gtx 1060 would be a better option,but adding ram only if a second hand good deal.Playing with 8gb is still possible and adding ram might give trouble since not all ram,even if same maker/model/speed,will play nice together. Would prefer to use that kind of money for a total better system.

Likewise a psu could be swapped to a new system,.si if you think you need a better is that a good investment.

mgallo848

Commendable
You're VERY, VERY close to needing a complete overhaul. I would not spend any more money into that system and save it towards building yourself something new. Even upgrading to something like a Ryzen 1600 with a GTX 1050ti would be a massive upgrade compared to what you have now.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Getting a 1060 could be enough to get the job done. AM.D. fx 4xxx and 6xxx clear 60fps and i5 4xxx gets like 90fps 1080p with a 1060.. buy a new GPU, but be prepared to possibly need to upgrade the rest at some poi t depending on what you play. Bf1 should run fine on your cpu for the most part.

Newer games will see the bottleneck, like 2018 and beyond AAA. I think you will be good on a lot of games between 2015 and 2017. Check this benchmark out with your cpu performing within 10% of a i5 6500.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i5-2500-vs-core-i5-6500-vs-core-i3-6320.230747/

A 1050 blows away your gpu, but a 6500 hardly beats your cpu. This means you can upgrade gpu and see noticeable gains

Now obviously some games will be an exception, some just aren't optimized well, but generally speaking you should get decent frames and see a significant improvement with only a new GPU. The second to last assassins creed and the division are two that come to mind. You will need to turn the settings down a bit and still might not hit 60fps 1080p, but I imagine it would be close on low at least.

I was using an i5 4460 and rx480 until recently upgrading the gpu. I had to tweak a lot then, but I could get a smooth 50fps in a lot of the games on medium / high settings, now I can pretty much max out those same games and get even more fps with cooler cpu. Not a huge difference between 4460 and 2500

If you will need to rebuild it all soon then why not buy the gpu first and see how it works eith your gpu? What's the worst thing to happen? You will still see improvements I can 100% guarantee that. The worst case is that they aren't as big as you hoped and then you build the rest of it. Perhaps you don't want to spend 800+$ right now and this could get the job done at least just enough that you can buy the gpu now and piece together the rest over the next few months while using the 1060 or whatever you get.

mgallo848

Commendable
I disagee. A non overclocked i5 2500 is ready to be replaced in 2018. Time to let it go (unless you're playing non-demanding games like Fortnite and CS:GO)

Comparing a 2500 to an i5 6500 doesn't make sense either. The i5 6500 was a budget / average chip at best when released and the 6500 is almost 4 years old already.

Stepping up to a new Ryzen or Intel CPU would make a huge difference.

mgallo848

Commendable

I agree.

Which is why I said in my first post "You're VERY, VERY close to needing a complete overhaul. I would not spend any more money into that system and save it towards building yourself something new"

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
The point of the comparison is to the show how the 2 cpu performs basically the same on those games. I'm not saying they won't see an improvement by replacing the cpu, obviously they will.

You are missing the point. It doesn't matter how old this or that is, budget whatever.. If you are definitely replacing both the gpu and cpu it does not hurt anything to replace the gpu first and see how it works with your cpu unless you know for certain it can't run the games you will play.

What if doing that performs great for right now and allows you to hold out a few months or so for the next ryzen cpu' s or DDR5 which is going to be double speed of ddr4. Would that not be a good thing?

So of the 2 parts, which can't be pushed any further? It's the GPU, the 2500 isn't bottlenecking that thing. This means buying a new cpu with the same gpu (I know they would not actually do this) doesn't really do much, but a new GPU with the cpu that wasn't bottlenecking the 560ti will see improvements. Now I'm not claiming this will 100% be the best thing and not bottleneck a 1060, but it will, in fact, see performance gains and perhaps those gains are good enough for the OP to play their games another 6 months or so.

The OP mentions BF1 1080p 60fps, a new GPU will for sure do this. An i5 2500 gets 115fps with a 1080 a 7700k gets 140fps. If the OP checks his usage playing BF1 he will definitely notice a gpu bottleneck. Here is a 560ti unable to hit smooth 60fps while using a little better of a cpu

https://youtu.be/-5kxWr7Mx6s

Cod ww2 on max setting with a 1060 gets 70fps when the cpu is not bottlenecking. I would bet a 2500 could get 60 or close to it on lower settings at 1080p. Oh wait, look whay we found.

https://youtu.be/FquiOhXbpMs

These videos clearly show that it would be worth getting a new GPU and trying it out first

Bf1 2500 and 1060 running 60fps strong

https://youtu.be/23Gn3QeUsAY