Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
So here are my specs currently
Motherboard: Gigabyte-Z68-UDH-B3
CPU: I7 2600K
GPU: RADEON HD6950
RAM: 8MB CORSAIR DDR3
PSU: ANTEC 620W GAMING
HD: 500 HDD (I have a barely used 1TB HDD im going to format and install)

I have $600 to spend and I was going to start with buying an RTX 2060 and 1080p 144hz monitor (im playing on a 1080p tv right now :) )
Then next year I will have more to spend, so Im wondering what I should do.... Im just lost because right now its so so frustrating to play these games (apex legends, ROE, PUBG) because my GPU can BAAAREELLY handle them and I monitor is horrible with 7ms response time....

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Also, I want to overclock my CPU but have no clue how, ive never even been in my bios

Last edited:
Solution
Liquid cooling is an option especially if you are considering a system that will be compatible with newer Intel and AMD processors coming out this year.
With that said the i7-2600k is easy to cool sufficiently even with a low to mid range CPU AIR Cooler, little need for water cooling or high end air cooling on the i7-2600k unless you're going into the most minute and advanced overclocking possible on these CPU's. For an average overclock from 4.3-4.6GHz you won't need an expensive CPU Cooler and to get much beyond 4.5-4.6GHz you will be spending a lot of time researching and changing settings in BIOS and testing...

With all that said some of the best CPU Air Coolers provide cooling capability as good or better then the AIO systems...

sr87dot62

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
well you have z68 board which means that your CPU is overclockable. You board is not compatible with many air coolers son you should get a h100i. after that, you should overclock it. Afterwards, you need to get a used 1080 which is around the same price at 2060. You also need another 8gb of ram. I think you should be good then.

Afterwards, you need to get a used 1080 which is around the same price at 2060.
Considering that a 2060 is similar in performance to a 1070 Ti, and only a little behind a 1080 in terms of average performance in existing games, with some architectural improvements that may give it an edge in some future titles, it might be better to just go with a 2060, and get a fresh warranty.

As for what would be a good upgrade next year, it might potentially be worth upgrading the CPU/Motherboard/RAM, as there should be new 7 and 10nm CPUs coming from AMD and Intel later this year, and more CPU performance could help you push higher frame rates on a 144Hz 1080p screen. Be aware that new CPUs will require newer RAM though (currently DDR4), so if you plan on replacing your CPU soon, then I'm not sure if investing in more DDR3 at this point would be worthwhile. Most games should still get along alright on 8GB for the time being, even if there are some examples of games that can benefit from having more.

HD: 500 HDD (I have a barely used 1TB HDD im going to format and install)
You might also consider installing Windows to an SSD to improve general system responsiveness and reduce load times of games installed to it. The prices of SSDs have been coming down a lot lately, and a 500GB SSD is relatively inexpensive, and should be able to hold your most-played games.

7ms on a TV is fairly common have you checked to see if your TV has a game mode? A good IPS monitor is going to be in the range of 4-6ms response time where a TN you can get 1ms response from but at the cost of off center viewing quality. Seriously consider a 1440p 120-144Hz display they are available for not much more then the 1080p 144Hz displays.

specwolf82

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
So this liquid cooler can be installed to my current motherboard, after that I can overclock the 2600k? Regardless... I will have to get a gpu and monitor first because my current GPU is failing..... after doing more research, I believe I will get the 1660 TI, as it will not bottleneck my Stock 2600k that much and I can return to micro center and upgrade next year..... I have a $600 budget.... however, I could afford to save for the liquid cooler to overclock the 2600k before next year if it will fit on my MOBO

Also, do you think I could push this card at all? maybe to 38ghz with the stock fan ?

Last edited:

specwolf82

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
The issue is with the GPU im getting, which after much research over this entire day... will be the 1660 TI... as it will not bottleneck my stock 2600k (until i can get a liquid cooler to overclock it soon) and with that I can run games on a 144hz 1080p monitor very well...with a 1ms response time... which will let me use my skillset to its fullest.... a 7ms response time is horrible for competitive gaming...

specwolf82

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
Yes I believe that will be the overall plan..... So I will get the 1660 ti.. as it will not bottleneck my stock i7 2600 k that much, get a liquid cooler for my mobo, then overclock..... then next year.... replace the entire mobo, cpu and ram and transfer the liquid cooler (will get a better K version card so I can still make use of the cooler)

Liquid cooling is an option especially if you are considering a system that will be compatible with newer Intel and AMD processors coming out this year.
With that said the i7-2600k is easy to cool sufficiently even with a low to mid range CPU AIR Cooler, little need for water cooling or high end air cooling on the i7-2600k unless you're going into the most minute and advanced overclocking possible on these CPU's. For an average overclock from 4.3-4.6GHz you won't need an expensive CPU Cooler and to get much beyond 4.5-4.6GHz you will be spending a lot of time researching and changing settings in BIOS and testing...

With all that said some of the best CPU Air Coolers provide cooling capability as good or better then the AIO systems currently on the market and are reliable with longer warranties.

Solution

specwolf82

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
I dont have any special cooling systems right now, just the stock INTEL fan over the chip itself.... the poster above said I should get a cooling system before overclocking... But ive never overclocked before and have no clue how to do it.... the only videos showing how to overclock an i7 2600k is 4.0ghz and im not sure im comfortable doing that without a cooler... but like i said... im new to this, I know nothing.... if I do what they do on the video will it immediately fry my MOBO?

If you do your research first and understand what you're doing and are cautious then no you should not have any problems.

My rule with overclocking - if you can't afford to replace a CPU or Motherboard or RAM or another component today then don't overclock.

TRENDING THREADS