Question Upgrading a Best buy pc power unit?

Sep 2, 2019
Hi everyone. First time poster. I'm a newbie, but this site has helped me with so many questions and I figured if I'm getting serious into pc gaming and upgrading, this is where I want to be. I'm really new to pc upgrading, but I've been running a pre-build Best Buy pc for the last 2 years. I upgraded my card from an R9 270 to a GTX 1660 TI about 5 months ago and I'm loving it! I'm looking at getting an even better card though. The RTX 2070 Super.

I currently have a 500-watt power supply. My processor is an i7-6700.

My question is, can I put in 650-watt power supply and run with a 2070 super? Will I be in trouble with temperatures? Currently, I've overclocked the 1660 ti and it runs at about 75 degrees celsius max usually.

Does anyone know much about the pre-builts and upgrading? Changing my card was all I've done. I'm just wondering if I can do this instead of buying a whole new pc to go with a better graphics card?

Any and all tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The 2070 Super can indeed run on a good quality 650W - but emphasis on the good quality. Problem with most pre-builts is they often cut cost on the PSU and throw in a poor quality unit (usually). When this in reality is the last item you should go cheap on.

You can see a guide i created on some less common mistakes in picking PC parts here and the PSU element is point #1: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

I believe the Best-Buy builds (not something we have here) just use standard ATX components, and aren't proprietory. EDIT: COLGeek above covered this.

Sep 2, 2019
The other issue I'm having is my motherboard has no more room for anything. So I can't add an SSD or anything. I'm actually just considering buying a new pc and selling my 1660 ti maybe. I deeply regret getting a best buy pc lol.

What do you guys think about this one? I live in Edmonton and this place is great for building your own, but this pre-built is pretty much exactly what I want and is upgradable.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78180

COLGeek

Cybernaut

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The other issue I'm having is my motherboard has no more room for anything. So I can't add an SSD or anything. I'm actually just considering buying a new pc and selling my 1660 ti maybe. I deeply regret getting a best buy pc lol.

What do you guys think about this one? I live in Edmonton and this place is great for building your own, but this pre-built is pretty much exactly what I want and is upgradable.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78180
The bundled PSU is only 600w. That is below the Nvidia recommended 650w.

Why not build you own rig?

Sep 2, 2019
The bundled PSU is only 600w. That is below the Nvidia recommended 650w.

Why not build you own rig?
I'm actually on memory expresses site right now pricing one out haha. If it's going t be 90% just for gaming and internet use, which processor would you recommend for the 2070 super? I guess one that will be good for the next 4 or 5 years still if i do build my own.

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
What is your budget for CPU, if you're upgrading it? Also Gigabyte recommends 650W for the GPU. You'd be better off building your own rig rather than buy and upgrade that (just watch one or two YouTube videos on building a PC)