[SOLVED] Upgrading a few things

Feb 1, 2021
So I have very little idea what I'm doing when it comes to picking good parts. I can figure out compatibility but who knows if what I pick will result in a good system lol. I built my PC a year or so ago just to upgrade from my crappy AIO and to play WOW. It has worked great for that, but now I'm playing some FPS games and need to change a few things. I know the best thing to upgrade would be the GPU but with the incredibly inflated prices that's out of the question at the moment. The main goal is to be able to play games at a decent level and record occasionally too, I wont be streaming.
Currents parts list:
CPU - AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2GHz Dual-Core
Motherboard - ASRock B450M Pro4
RAM - Vulcan 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-3000
GPU - AMD Radeon RX550
PSU - Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze.
So since GPU is out of the question for now, I was looking at upgrading the CPU and RAM. For RAM I was looking at either Hyperx Fury 8GB (2x4gb) or HyperX 16GB (2x8gb), both DDR4-3000. Could I add the 2x8gb to my 2x4gb to have 24gb total or would I have to remove the 2x4gb? This is the areas I have no idea whats what. Or should I just throw in the 2x8gb and have 16gb and call it a day?
For the CPU I was looking at either the Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHZ Quad-Core, the Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core, or the Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core. Mainly trying to get the best I can for under $200 but again, not sure what to look for.
Thanks for the help yall.

Solution
So I have very little idea what I'm doing when it comes to picking good parts. I can figure out compatibility but who knows if what I pick will result in a good system lol. I built my PC a year or so ago just to upgrade from my crappy AIO and to play WOW. It has worked great for that, but now I'm playing some FPS games and need to change a few things. I know the best thing to upgrade would be the GPU but with the incredibly inflated prices that's out of the question at the moment. The main goal is to be able to play games at a decent level and record occasionally too, I wont be streaming.
Currents parts list:
GPU - AMD Radeon...

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Currents parts list:
GPU - AMD Radeon RX550
PSU - Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze.
So since GPU is out of the question for now, I was looking at upgrading the CPU and RAM. For RAM I was looking at either Hyperx Fury 8GB (2x4gb) or HyperX 16GB (2x8gb), both DDR4-3000. Could I add the 2x8gb to my 2x4gb to have 24gb total or would I have to remove the 2x4gb? This is the areas I have no idea whats what. Or should I just throw in the 2x8gb and have 16gb and call it a day?
For the CPU I was looking at either the Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHZ Quad-Core, the Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core, or the Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core. Mainly trying to get the best I can for under $200 but again, not sure what to look for.
Thanks for the help yall.

ryzen 5 1600 or 2600 are significant upgrades over the cpu you are using now. if you upgrade ram with same mhz frequency and preferably same quantity i dont think you'll have any issues. put the two higher quantity sticks into the preferred dual channel slots (a2/b2, the channels you should be using now) and then the lower quantity ones into a1/b1 slots. im not going to drivel on flex mode for ram sticks of different capacities running semi-dual channel, but in general you will be fine, anything is better then 8gb for modern games anyway, 16gb will get you by fine, 24gb in paired slots will run fine. Typically you don't see much performance loss anyway with a pair not in dual channel when gaming, talking like a small handfull of fps difference. negligible.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 1, 2021
So I upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5 3600. What a headache that was. Taught me to read directions especially when there is a warning note in orange to make sure I dont need to update BIOS before switching lol. Had to remove the new one, reinstall the old, update BIOS then reinstall new. Upgraded RAM to 2x8 3200MHz completely removed the Vulcans and set them aside for a pc for my parents for generic stuff.
Warzone is running fine now, I am no longer lagging. However it could still be better quality. Some setting are low still and some are on normal. With the new CPU with Warzone running its stays around 18% usage, the RAM runs around 60-70% usage.
New question: Should I add more RAM so that usage isnt high, or will it not matter at this point for Warzone since its less than 80%? Or should I just look for a new GPU? I am currently looking at a used GTX 980 ti on Ebay for about $250.
Thanks yall

Reactions: Why_Me