Upgrading a HP Pavilion dv6000

boshkon30

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I would like to upgrade the core 2 duo on my old HP pavilion to a quad core or something similar.
I would also like an external graphics card to use with an external monitor.
Is there a chance this could be done?

Solution
I am going to continue the conversation we had when you Pm'd me.
I Would like you to do the same, Thanks.

I would get a RX 550 2gb or a GT 1030 2gb
Some other options would be a Used 750ti, or a Radeon R7 7700 series Card, Like the R7 7770. Older GT Series, Like the GT 710 or a GT 610 Or similar. I have a RX 460 that I got for 70 bucks, IF you could find it cheap like that it could be an option but the CPU will Bottle neck.

Keep in mind that you need a eGPU Case and PSU. Also that the GPU will be bottle necked by having very few PCI lanes

You would be better off getting a new laptop

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017
yes and no. Only dual core cpu, and it is hard and not worth it, I have done it with that same laptop. and a external GPU is pointless, it would either bottleneck horrible, or likely, Not work. .

Just get a new laptop/desktop.

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017
I am going to continue the conversation we had when you Pm'd me.
I Would like you to do the same, Thanks.

I would get a RX 550 2gb or a GT 1030 2gb
Some other options would be a Used 750ti, or a Radeon R7 7700 series Card, Like the R7 7770. Older GT Series, Like the GT 710 or a GT 610 Or similar. I have a RX 460 that I got for 70 bucks, IF you could find it cheap like that it could be an option but the CPU will Bottle neck.

Keep in mind that you need a eGPU Case and PSU. Also that the GPU will be bottle necked by having very few PCI lanes

You would be better off getting a new laptop

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A eGPU on a Dual core under 2ghz is pointless, you will have a box that is worth 2X the laptop in question, Here are the issues.

1. A Dual core CPU under 2ghz and DDR2 RAM,.. this is a slow system not capable of even modest gaming now.

2. No real way to hook it up that will give the GPU even half of its capability, there are no useful ports on this thing. "USB...not happening"

Misleading advise and waste of money, he will gain nothing for his effort but a headache.

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017

yeah, i know, but he refuses to listen, and wants a CPU and GPU. So i did what he wanted, If he doesn't get the preformace he wants he will be the only one to blame.