[SOLVED] Upgrading a New computer that is or doesn't meet any standard.

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018
I bought this HP690-0067c that has a Mother Board that in my opinion is old outdated and not fit for the current types of Hardware on the market. It will not support a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe Series 500GB M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 x 4 Solid State Drive (V-NAND) to its fullest extent. It will only support it to PCLe Gen. 2 X 4 when the Samsung HD is capable of 3.0 X 4. This is ½ the speed either write or read that the HD is capable of. I want to or tried to find out from HP Support which of their MB’s will support my Samsung fully but none of the people can even tell me that. My MB has a M2 plug in it for the new drive but doesn’t help when the MB will not support it.
According to Samsung I’m getting half of what I should get. Other forums that I have posted on tell me I should be over 3000+. When I have talked to HP 5 or 6 times it would seem they can’t seem to understand what I want to do. They can’t answer the question and they won’t let me talk to their Tier 2 Support or actually be helpful in any way. Samsung on the other hand has provided fantastic service.
10/22/20
So now a new MOBO & move all the parts to that board, but after watching the U Tube video pasted below I’m concerned it will not work. Now why this would not work doesn’t make any sense to me. All those parts should be transferable to a new ASUS MOBO, Most likely a new ASUS B550 or B450 that ASUS said would work with my Ryzen 7 - 1700 CPU. I will be getting a new case with a new power supply, maybe even new memory. Transferring my CPU (Ryzen 7-1700), 16GBs Memory, AMD Radon RX550 video and I will do all the work myself like I should have in the first place.

Any guesses why or what the problems were the guy in the Video had while trying to do the same thing I want to do? I can’t think of any reason why this would not work. Any ideas or concerns speak up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3z6qd5HSo

Solution
The Samsung 970 is in a M2 slot and this MB does not have much if any room to add much except to replace some parts like the CPU, HD or add new memory.
Your suggestion is in line with a thought I had about putting the original HD back in, adding some new Ram and a new CPU then selling it.
I wouldn't even change the RAM and CPU.

Sell it as is.

USAFRet

Titan
What CPU is on the current HP motherboard? Ryzen 7 1700?

Details on the motherboard are slim.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05939208

But if it only supports PCIe 2.0, then...thats what it is.

What do you use this system for? The difference between a good SATA III and an NVMe is not always what it seems.

I was going to suggest a PCIe adapter for that 970, but there is only one viable slot, already consumed by the GPU.

If you're getting:
new case
new motherboard (B450)
new PSU

You're tossing out most of the HP.

There is no reason your Ryzen, RAM, and the 970 won't work.

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018
The Samsung 970 is in a M2 slot and this MB does not have much if any room to add much except to replace some parts like the CPU, HD or add new memory.
Your suggestion is in line with a thought I had about putting the original HD back in, adding some new Ram and a new CPU then selling it.

USAFRet

Titan
I wouldn't even change the RAM and CPU.

Sell it as is.

Solution