[SOLVED] Upgrading a notebook's CPU?

May 26, 2020
I read a bit of the new material on mobile CPUs - as usual lots of great info.
I have an IBM 385XD (Pentium 233) that I wouldn't mind breathing some new life into. Does anyone have experience with upgrading IBM notebooks? I am sure an MB change is out of the question, so I'm looking for perhaps a PII in 'P' package. Does such a beast even exist?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Pentium 233. I think I have one of those out in the garage, a Dell Latitude.

However, that is a platform almost 25 years old. Any CPU that you could put in there and be compatible with the rest of it would be a tiny imperceptible change.
Even if the CPU is not soldered on (it probably is), the motherboard, BIOS, and chipset would have to be compatible.

In short, there is no change that would make any performance impact, even in the unlikely event it is possible.

USAFRet

Titan
Pentium 233. I think I have one of those out in the garage, a Dell Latitude.

However, that is a platform almost 25 years old. Any CPU that you could put in there and be compatible with the rest of it would be a tiny imperceptible change.
Even if the CPU is not soldered on (it probably is), the motherboard, BIOS, and chipset would have to be compatible.

In short, there is no change that would make any performance impact, even in the unlikely event it is possible.

Solution