Question Upgrading a prebuilt from HP

Feb 2, 2023
So I got this HP prebuilt and I have been thinking about how I could upgrade it and if so what should I upgrade it with. Im pretty new to this tech stuff so here's the pc link and the motherboard specifications link also I've been thinking about upgrading the ram but Idk how I should do it and if my computer supports that.

PC specs link

Motherboard
Specifications

Feb 2, 2023
So I got this HP prebuilt and I have been thinking about how I could upgrade it and if so what should I upgrade it with. Im pretty new to this tech stuff so here's the pc link and the motherboard specifications link also I've been thinking about upgrading the ram but Idk how I should do it and if my computer supports that.

PC specs link
Motherboard Specifications
I also think this should be important and its that I'm thinking in upgrading the gtx 1650 to an rtx 3050 but idk if its compatible

logainofhades

Titan
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
A decent pc.
But, pre-builts are not built to be upgraded.

Ram can be upgraded.
A 2 x 8gb DDR4 3200 speed kit should do it.
To verify, go to the crucial web site and access their upgrade app.
Enter your pc specifics and you will get a list of supported upgrades.

Your psu is 350w which limits the potential graphics upgrade to a card what will run without needing any 6 pin aux pcie power connector.
I don't know of anything significantly stronger.

Could you update the psu?
Likely not, the motherboard is proprietary.

logainofhades

Titan
A decent pc.

Ram can be upgraded.

Your psu is 350w which limits the potential graphics upgrade to a card what will run without needing any 6 pin aux pcie power connector.

That RTX A2000, in that video, uses no external power, and is as fast, if not faster, than a 3050. It's a killer card, for prebuilts.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 2, 2023
A decent pc.

Ram can be upgraded.

As I said I'm pretty new to the tech tuff so what is a proprietary motherboard, and what is a 6 pin aux pcie power connector? I have done some reasearch on what is a proprietary motherboard so should I replace it with another motherboard? And if so what motherboard should I try to get (something not too expensive but not too bad if possible) also if the motherboard does support another psu should I go for like a 450 w psu?

Open up the case and look at the PSU, does it have a 24pin connector plugged into the motherboard? If its a 24 pin then upgrading will be easy as you can replace it with a standard PSU.

If the board is proprietary then only an HP power supply will work on it and then your limited on size. You more then likely will not be able to replace the motherboard as any standard motherboard will not fit that case. At that point you will be looking at new case, motherboard, PSU, and posibably a new heatsink.

Feb 2, 2023
Open up the case and look at the PSU, does it have a 24pin connector plugged into the motherboard? If its a 24 pin then upgrading will be easy as you can replace it with a standard PSU.

If the board is proprietary then only an HP power supply will work on it and then your limited on size. You more then likely will not be able to replace the motherboard as any standard motherboard will not fit that case. At that point you will be looking at new case, motherboard, PSU, and posibably a new heatsink.
Do I just like count the pins?

Feb 2, 2023

Also I found this video abt someone upgrading a Victus pc, Is it viable? And does that cover the psu thing (like the 24 pin thing)?
Video

logainofhades

Titan
If you get the RTX A2000, in that video, you don't need to worry about PSU. It requires no external power, and only uses 70w. Other than maybe their Omen gaming line, HP's are going to be proprietary. Here is a visual aid, regarding the power supply connections.

SMPS-or-PSU-Connectors-Cables.jpg

Feb 2, 2023
If you get the RTX A2000, in that video, you don't need to worry about PSU. It requires no external power, and only uses 70w. Other than maybe their Omen gaming line, HP's are going to be proprietary. Here is a visual aid, regarding the power supply connections.

SMPS-or-PSU-Connectors-Cables.jpg
I mean the RTX A2000 is a little bit more expensive than the rtx 3050 (after searching on some internet shops) so would an rtx 3050 be compatible with my pc? If not should I go only for the A2000 and 16gb of ram?

Wait I just read ur message again and I dont get what those cables mean

If I were you, I'd cut my losses by salvaging everything from that HP that I could (CPU, RAM, storage) and use them in a new build. There's nothing that you can put into that HP that would be worth spending money on. That 350W PSU would even struggle with a 75W card because 350W PSUs are mainly for IGPs.

There's also the fact that there aren't any 75W cards worth spending money on. The GTX 1650 costs $170 but for only $75 more, you can get an RX 6600, a card that is more than twice as fast as the GTX 1650 (2.25x to be exact).

I just don't want you flushing your money down the toilet because nobody can afford to do that these days and that's what I see you doing if you try to upgrade that thing.

Reactions: GarrettL