[SOLVED] Upgrading advice - for more Fps of course

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Afternoon All,

Long story short - I have a bit extra cash to play with and would like to use to upgrade my current machine for more FPS gains on titles, I keep going round and round in circles in to trying to think of what exactly.

Here are specs

Gigabyte gaming 5 Z370
Intel 8700K 5ghz
Corsair Vengeance 2X8GB DDR4 3200mhz
Zotac 1080Ti amp extreme edition
Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 2K 165Hz
1200i PSU

Not sure what else I need to say really - if you had a choice of upgrading to gain FPS performance in majority of games 1440p what would it be.

£300-600 Spending. stretching to 700

Thanks all in advance

Gamer

PS I play all the latest titles from BF5 ...BO4 ... Tomb raider ....anything really.

Solution
Yeah so it's definitely gpu limited so a 9900k won't help you a bit. Rocket league or any other esports title it shouldn't matter anyway.

So in every situation you're gpu limited, basically either enjoy what you have or get a 2080ti. Your 1080ti has some value still but that's still a lot of $$ for not a tremendous gain

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I was toying with that idea but couldn't justify the price vs performance as this 1080 ti is pretty much a beast in it self.

The only things I could think of was the following but please shut me down if you think i shouldn't

1 - Upgrade ram to 3866mhz or 4000mhz
2 - Get another Zotac 1080Ti for SLI
3 - Upgrade the motherboard ?

I have done research myself but a lot of it is mixed information regarding memory speed and SLI (As i have never SLI'D in my life)

Originally I got the 1080 ti for the 1440p resolution as I found the 1080 did just not have the amount of power to achieve the higher fps ... Ahh I dunno - eek!

**** Supahos

Which software would you recommend for me use for bench marking this so I could post back on ? because that cpu & gpu usuage topic has not always been my favourite - you could call me slightly thick lol ;) , but everything else computer related i am quite knowledgeable :p

Gamer

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Thanks Supahos, I currently am using msi afterburner

deep down I kinda of expected these responses back as I have been searching for a few months now on what to upgrade for it but kept coming back to the "drawing board" - I didn't want to post here before i did my research.

It might be a bottle neck in that case in why I might not be totally happy - Fire strike score benchmark is 25502.

If you were happy for me to do some benchmarks and get you to run your eyes over - what would you recommend and what should I start with ? Obviously along using msi Afterburner

Thank you so much in advance

Gamer

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Benchmarks don't tell the story as they typically load the GPU and CPU separately. Play some games with afterburner active and see which part is 100% or close to it. I highly suspect it'll be your 1080ti and the only fix is buy a $1300 GPU and sell yours I know it's not what you want to hear but it's my guess

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Very true, What i'll do is - I'll do some gaming this evening on a various of titles and record the data and report back hopefully tomorrow.

If what you say might be true - I might have to suck it up and just wait as I would prefer not to buy the new cards at that price or even at performance gain.

Once last question as it has been bugging me - on my motherboard I have my memory in the current slots high-lighted in yellow below is this correct?
(Back in the day it used to be rule of thumb im sure to keep 1 stick closest to the cpu) but going by the below that would be slot 4 but I maybe totally wrong - worth a try because that could be hurting my performance.

Motherboard.jpg

Thanks in advance

Gamer

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Most boards are laid out like that now (ram) to give a little more room for coolers (only reason I can think of) if you're only using 2 sticks. If it boots and you've actually got it running at 3200 mhz then moving it won't make any difference

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Hi Supa

I just had a session over 3 games which I am not quite sure what i am looking at but please see below results if you can assist or if any other info is needed please let me know

Memory 5895mhz
CPU Temps about 65-75c @ 5ghz v1.29
GPU Temp about 62-67c

Hitman 2

99% GPU USAGE

10-30% CPU USAGE across all cores with 1 or 2 cores (1st and 5th) being higher about 50%

BO4 multiplayer

95% GPU USAGE
25% - 60% CPU USAGE ACROSS ALL Cores even

ROCKET LEAGUE

40 -45 % GPU USAGE
10 - 40% CPU USAGE - mainly split over 4-5 cores at 15% with occasional 45% (on 1st core)

Wasn't sure how to get the info to you properly so i do apologise now :)

Kind regards

Gamer

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah so it's definitely gpu limited so a 9900k won't help you a bit. Rocket league or any other esports title it shouldn't matter anyway.

So in every situation you're gpu limited, basically either enjoy what you have or get a 2080ti. Your 1080ti has some value still but that's still a lot of $$ for not a tremendous gain

Solution

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Thanks for the quick response again ... Could do me a big favour and explain how you come to that consumption in detail please so its easier for me to understand why 99% gpu usuage would result in me to upgrade to 20 series for gains? What is the balance in that overlay 50cpu/50gpy is classed as good performance or ? Would any amd cards help or is that a no go! Lol

Thanks again

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Also if i am understanding correctly ... I have my CPU delidded at 5ghz, if my CPU is to fast does this cause a bottle neck for the system meaning to fast for the gpu ?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
AMD currently doesn't have anything stronger than the 1080ti vega 7 might be a bit better in February when it comes out

If your GPU is maxed the only two things to help it are ocing your gpu or getting a better one. Lowering settings will also increase for since you're gpu limited.

Think of it this way the cpu is a fork. It feeds. The GPU (person) the cpu will only feed as many frames as the GPU can actually render (eat). The GPU also can only eat as fast as the cpu (fork) can get it feed. So if the cpu is 100% on a core a better GPU won't help fps

Like Supahos said, the only real gain is with a 2080 ti.

So, I would recommend a completely different route if you are itching for tech. If you have a smaller >10x10 play area get an Oculus Rift. If you have more room, get an HTC Vive.

If you have zero interest in VR, more options are: bigger/faster SSD, good mechanical keyboard, better mouse, better headset or 5.1 sound system, or even a more comfortable chair.

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks guys for responding - apologies for the delay ... I will get that link run tonight once i finish work and post the results back.

J_E_D_70

funny you say that - and the term you use itching for tech is a perfect analogy ... its all there but was just hoping to prioritise with the pc possibility first hehe.

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Hi Supa

see the following link - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13875507

Regarding the 2nd hard-drive it is low on space at the moment about 20gb available
Graphics driver - i found these to work best overall games compared to the latest - believe it not, i get better fps.

hope that link works ..

regards

Gamer

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks Supa,

do you have any idea in regards to overclocking or even anyone else ?

I have Msi afterburner obviously - but I can only get a maximum of 15+ core clock with about 200mhz on the memory with no voltage , even if i up the voltage I result in either a crash or a worse score on either firestrike or timespy from having it on default.

thanks in advance