[SOLVED] Upgrading advice needed

May 17, 2021
Hey, thank for reading my thread
I am using GTX 970, it's very hot and power hungry. I've got around 200-400 buck Should i buy the 2nd ?)
I just playing game. It's a few AAA games and Simulation, also abit FPS
(I got a Gigabyte 750W psu)

Solution
A 2nd 970 would just be extra headache. The performance gain from running SLI at this day and age is second to none unfortunately. Best bet is to just save up for a better GPU :)
In the meantime, since you mention your 970 is running very hot, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the thermal paste if you're confident with that kind of work. The original paste is probably just dust at this point.
Why is it running hot? Mine idles at 27C and peaks in the low 70s.

A GTX 1650 super or rx 580 are barely faster than a GTX 970 and either would eat up all of $200-$400 right now with current pricing. It would take more money than that to make a worthwhile upgrade to a gtx 970.

Reactions: XD_Fine_LDT

nishaburiy

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
A 2nd 970 would just be extra headache. The performance gain from running SLI at this day and age is second to none unfortunately. Best bet is to just save up for a better GPU :)
In the meantime, since you mention your 970 is running very hot, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the thermal paste if you're confident with that kind of work. The original paste is probably just dust at this point.

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
I also would suggest a single card upgrade rather than going for an SLI bridge. Running two cards on paper looks like it should double performance but in the real world it doesn't unfortunately. A multi card configuration creates a latency issue when splitting and re-stitching the workload back together. Historically this made for some minor screen tearing and while certain fidelity metrics will increase you still have to deal with the CPU bottleneck issue (which ultimately defines FPS anyways.) The SLI bridge was an improvement over just passing it back and forth via PCI-e but even with SLI there were still issues. Plus it is a real pain in the rump to setup and support. There was a real reason that Nvidia made dual chipped flagships during that time in history. It was like getting the boost of two cards without the issues of having two cards. The generational performance gains of even the least of a 3000 series card will out run multiple 900 series, plus you get directx 12, driver support refresh, and API goodies that 900 series cards don't have.

Reactions: XD_Fine_LDT

TRENDING THREADS