Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
I'm planning to upgrade. My computer is 4 years old. I currently have:
cpu- i5 4690k
gpu- GTX 750 Ti
Looking to upgrade:
cpu- i5 9600k
gpu- gtx 1060 6 gb
I have 16 gb RAM, 550 w PSU, SSD and HDD, HP monitor at 1920 x 1080. I know I'll need a new mobo. I have noticed I'm starting to get frame drops on some newer games. I play mostly DayZ, a little PUBG, my son plays Fortnite. I may try the new COD. I don't overclock ( don't even know how ), I don't stream. Just a casual gamer. Still shopping around. Nothing definite yet. Would appreciate any advice or recommendations. Would like to stay in the mid range price neighborhood. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I agree that the graphics card would be the most important thing to upgrade in that system to improve gaming performance. You should probably upgrade that first, and see whether that upgrade alone provides adequate performance gains. Something like a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 should provide around three times the graphics performance of a 750 Ti. Also have a look at the newer GTX 1660, as it can be around 20% faster than those cards, while typically only costing a little bit more than a 1060 6GB.

By comparison, you probably won't see much more than a 10% improvement to frame rates in most games when pairing a 9600K with that level of graphics card, which will be almost unnoticeable. A handful of games can utilize the extra cores, and maybe you'll see slightly more stable performance overall, but most games will still get along fine on a quad-core for the time being, and a 4690K is still a very capable processor. In terms of per-core performance, CPUs haven't really improved massively in recent years. More cores have been added at any given price level, but most games are still only making limited use of those extra cores. Considering a CPU upgrade would cost a lot more than a graphics card upgrade for far less performance gains, you're probably better off holding off on that for now, and maybe even spending a little more on the graphics card instead.

jerry atrick

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
I agree that the graphics card would be the most important thing to upgrade in that system to improve gaming performance. You should probably upgrade that first, and see whether that upgrade alone provides adequate performance gains. Something like a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 should provide around three times the graphics performance of a 750 Ti. Also have a look at the newer GTX 1660, as it can be around 20% faster than those cards, while typically only costing a little bit more than a 1060 6GB.

By comparison, you probably won't see much more than a 10% improvement to frame rates in most games when pairing a 9600K with that level of graphics card, which will be almost unnoticeable. A handful of games can utilize the extra cores, and maybe you'll see slightly more stable performance overall, but most games will still get along fine on a quad-core for the time being, and a 4690K is still a very capable processor. In terms of per-core performance, CPUs haven't really improved massively in recent years. More cores have been added at any given price level, but most games are still only making limited use of those extra cores. Considering a CPU upgrade would cost a lot more than a graphics card upgrade for far less performance gains, you're probably better off holding off on that for now, and maybe even spending a little more on the graphics card instead.
I was actually considering just changing graphics cards and see how it went. Appreciate the insight. I will definitely check out a 1660. Thanks, have a great day.

The 750 is massively limited/crippled at 1080P on any game not at least 6 years old, and, needs replacement before sundown!

The 1660 or 1660Ti should do nicely, and would likely last for several more years at 1080P gaming....(my 2 year old GTX1060-6 GB is is good as the day it was installed, and, will easily last another generation of GPUs beyond current; firm believer here that a good medium to upper mid-range GPU lasts 3 years easily)

jerry atrick

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
The 750 is massively limited/crippled at 1080P on any game not at least 6 years old, and, needs replacement before sundown!

The 1660 or 1660Ti should do nicely, and would likely last for several more years at 1080P gaming....(my 2 year old GTX1060-6 GB is is good as the day it was installed, and, will easily last another generation of GPUs beyond current; firm believer here that a good medium to upper mid-range GPU lasts 3 years easily)
The 750Ti did pretty well when I got it 4 years ago, but it is really struggling now. General consensus seems to be the 1660. I will definitely start looking at those. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.