Upgrading after 10+ years. What's changed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lm137

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Hi,

The last PC I built is now about 11 years old, still running the good ol' Windows XP and quite frankly out-performing many newer computers (esp. those with the burden of Windows Vista). Nevertheless, it's time for an upgrade, not least because Windows XP is unsupported.

I have been out of the game for a long time, so I don't really have a clue as to what is going on. I know AGPs have been replaced by something called PCI express or other ;), and SSD SATA hard drives have superseded regular PATA hard-disks that spin a magnetic disk, but not much apart from that (oh and that BIOS has being replaced by an acronym I can't remember).

Is there anything in particular I have to look out for?

Here is my summary:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: I had about 500GBP / $780USD in mind, but whatever it takes.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Using text-based applications (programming), emailing, surfing the web

Are you buying a monitor: No: I would like to keep my old Samsung 15" which has the blue analogue connector (d-connector?)

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, motherboard, hard drive (SSD), graphics card. I recently bought a new PSU because the old one started making a funny sound, so hopefully it will be ok...

Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009RMP14M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I would very much like to keep the existing midi tower ATX case. I presume the form factor has remained the same, I will be able to screw in a new motherboard? :-/ The smallest slots it has are 3.5". If the HDD is smaller, can I buy some kind of adapter?

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I will be buying Windows 8.1 Pro (and I suppose upgrading to Windows 10). I would switch to Linux, but I need Windows for one important application (IDE), and well, I suppose I am too used to it (MS has won :( ).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.co.uk, ebuyer.com, dabs.com, (anywhere I don't mind)

Parts Preferences: I am partial to AMD. The existing AMD Athlon XP+, MTI motherboard machine has been running constantly for almost the whole 11 years with no problems that I can remember (other than being shut down by power grid cuts). However, if anyone can make a strong argument as to why Intel e.g. is more reliable than my mind is open. Reliability is a top priority. I would like it to have server-like reliability :)

Overclocking: Not necessary

SLI or Crossfire: I have no idea what this means :)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768 is the highest supported resolution I believe. This is fine for my purposes. I hope a new graphic card can support such a low resolution!

Additional Comments:

It needs to be as fast as possible loading applications and have lots of memory to juggle multiple applications (I notice that Firefox and Thunderbird can easily consume over 1GB a piece).

SSD with 256GB should be sufficient. I am partial to Samsung unless you will tell me their SSDs are unreliable or not good for some reason.

Graphics/games performance is not important - entry level card is fine.

I would like it to stand the test of time like its predecessor :)

I think that is it. Thank you for any suggestions!

Solution
Actually, here's an i5 build with monitor that's still under your budget :D

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£142.50 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£42.63 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£77.50 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit)
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (£113.53 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £458.92
Prices include shipping, taxes...

lm137

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Thank you mcnumpty23. You have made up my mind, I will go with Intel this time.

Yes, the PSU surprised me too. It's not even a full tower, just a midi. Unless I have been really stupid and e.g. there are extensions provided in the box!

I haven't used the floppy drive in about 7 years. I was just pointing out the difficulty with the PSU cable lengths.

normally the only psu extensions supplied would be the 4/8 pin in case you have a large case

as the 4/8 cpu connector tends to be up in the top left corner of the board

but sata extensions etc are cheap enough any way think i paid £10 for 4 as i have a huge case and 8 hard drives in all sorts of places the extensions made the wiring easier and tidier

lm137

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
That is why! I am using the old style 4 pin power driver connectors and those are limited probably because they are mostly obsolete.

Perhaps a trivial question... which is better...

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a1866c9r%2Ccorsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2400c11r/

The price is the same. The second is faster, however the first has a CAS of only 9 vs 11. So what is more important, CAS or speed?

not sure you even need over 1600mhz ram to be quite honest--i am still on 4 year old 1600mhz and see no reason to change it to faster--more expensive stuff

wont be any problem finding adapters because of the rise of ssd users in desktop pcs

+1; This is a decent $500 build!

lm137

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Just wanted to say a Big Thank You to everyone for their help :).

I have decided to base the build on freeskier93's i5 build, upgrading the cpu to the Intel Core i5-4690K and RAM to 16GB to help future-proof the machine. (Firefox on my i7 laptop frequently manages to consume 10% CPU with 15 or so tabs open! It's probably down to the awful Flash player.) Also, I think I will be silly and go for the Samsung SSD Pro series rather than the EVO series, for extra peace-of-mind.

I'm still around the £500 mark (somewhat over with Win 8.1 Pro) because I won't be getting a monitor.

lm137

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Sorry for yet another post. Just wondering about the m/b.

Here is a comparison of four boards including the H97-PLUS suggested by freeskier93. They are all around the same price (it's amazing how many boards there are evenly distributed across the price spectrum - you could probably find a board for any given price, £82, £83, £84 and so on!).

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/asus-motherboard-h97plus%2Casus-motherboard-z97kcsm%2Cgigabyte-motherboard-gaz97d3h%2Cgigabyte-motherboard-gaz97hd3/

The other boards use the Z97 chipset, which seems better(?) and would be useful if in a few years I feel inclined to overclock (I understand also the i5-4690K is unlocked). I know I said no overclocking, but at the same price why not have the option?

Also any comments about ASUS vs Gigabyte?

freeskier93

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Sorry about being late here, but if you get the unlocked "k" processor and want to play around with overclocking you need to get a Z97 board. I would also recommend Asus, I have a Gigabyte board in my AMD A8-5600k media server, and it's a great board, but I like the BIOS/tools of my Asus board much more.