[SOLVED] Upgrading Alienware Aurora

Dec 30, 2019
Hi guys

What do you think would be the best setup for upgradingmy old Alienware?
Here’re my current specs:
MB: Z97MX-Gaming 5
i5 4690K @3.50 ghz
8 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 960 1GB

I’d like to get the machine ready for 4k display and VR for gaming.
I’m thinking of switching over to Ryzen 7 but I don’t know which motherboard to choose and whether it works with my setup.
Or should I just upgrade to i7 or i9?
Any tips would be much appreciated!

Solution
Those Alienware/Dell cases are typically proprietary and might now take new non-Dell motherboards. You can upgrade to an i7 4790K and OC it to 4.7GHz or so and still do okay paired with a good mid-range card like a GTX 1660 Ti or something.

Other than that, you may have to just sell that and/or build a whole new PC. Your GPU is the main thing needing upgrading at this point. I say do that and then see where you stand. You can still put a good cooler on that 4690K and get it to 4.6-4.7GHz.
Those Alienware/Dell cases are typically proprietary and might now take new non-Dell motherboards. You can upgrade to an i7 4790K and OC it to 4.7GHz or so and still do okay paired with a good mid-range card like a GTX 1660 Ti or something.

Other than that, you may have to just sell that and/or build a whole new PC. Your GPU is the main thing needing upgrading at this point. I say do that and then see where you stand. You can still put a good cooler on that 4690K and get it to 4.6-4.7GHz.

Solution
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks for the reply!
This would be the second time the system is upgraded (not by me though)
So the motherboard is not the original one.
That's why I'm thinking maybe it doesn't have proprietary limitations