Upgrading AMD 6800k apu system suggestions.

elitose

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
So Im upgrading my little sisters pc. She needs it as its currently thermal throttling due to the poor air flow and low performance. She is currently running a 6800K apu system with 8 gb 1600 mhz ram. Im putting the system in my old fractal r4, giving her my gtx 770 as ive recently upgraded, and powering this with a 500W 80+ bronze psu. I know thats lower than the recommended 600W. The thing is these are all parts I already have. Should there be any concern with these upgrades and the power suppy? I would like to overclock her apu with a 212 evo as her favorite games are cpu intensive. I know apu's benefit from higher frequency ram, should I consider this as well or leave it as I'm going to be putting in a discreet gpu? Let me know what you guys think. I was going to do this all in a few months for her birthday but she mentioned her pc slowing down significantly and upon my inspection I found the major thermal problems the performance is suffering from. So i figured I would do this soon rather than make her go through the inevitable automatic shut downs from the thermal protection.

elitose

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

I think the r4 will be fine. I have the supplies and tools to cut a new window into it and repaint it for a more girl friendly look. As for the cpu, I wish I could. Believe me, if I could afford it I would deck out her system with top quality components just for the joy of building it.

Once the IGP is not running the apu will be a lot cooler anyway .
It should stand reasonable OCing .
Also if you know someone who bought an FX83XX processor and used an aftermarket cooler you should be able to make use of their stock 140 watt AMD cooler and still have plenty of headroom .
Might not fit all mb's , but it should

elitose

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

I can't afford to do that right now. I upraded my nephews pc a month ago from an AM1 5350 to a Pentium Anniversary Edition and saw an incredible performance upgrade using the same r7 250x they already had. So i know what you mean.

elitose

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Thats good to know. Do you know if the IGP will automatically disable itself upon the system reading the new gpu or will I have to disable it in the bios manually? Also, i already have a 212 evo I'm not using so I'm covered there.

as soon as a graphics card is plugged in the IGP will be disabled automatically

TRENDING THREADS