Upgrading an older machine please advise

supertuesday666

Prominent
Aug 9, 2018
Hi all. Mostly noob at cpu parts. If someone could advise rather my plan for upgrading is possible or not.
Specs:

Emachine et1831-05
Cpu- intel celeron 450 2.2
Gpu- nvidia geforce 7050

All stock atm. Im looking to up with-

Cpu- intel core duo e8400
Gpu- nvidia geforce gtx 560ti
Psu- antec earthwatts 500watts

Ive done the research and it appears all should be well. Im able to purchase these items plus the thermal and ram max for under $60 and i paid $20 for the unit initially. I know its worth it pricewise but am i overlooking anything?
Im upgrading as to play low spec games like cod 5 and the new yakuza, hopefully aoe 4 if its good. I actively play aoe3 multiplayer with the emachine without issue. The new yakuza release was the gamechanger though + being able to play cod5 online zombies would be well worth the $60. Low settings and low lag would be essential, yazuka would be non online playing (campaign) as i would be scraping at min. specs anyhow.
any advice? Mostly looking for comfirmation the rig would work if the parts and fix are correct. This is my first upgrade (besides ram) (on any pc) im purchasing the parts next week unless referenced otherwise and I will present feedback there after.

Solution

Well, I went to the Emachines website and searched for BIOS updates for your model, and there were none. That means that it will either support the E8400 now or it never will. You have to decide if the gain is worth the risk and the cost.

It has been my experience that upgrading a pre-built is almost never cost effective. "You pays your money and you takes your chances!"

the problem with pre-builts is their limited upgrade-ability.
The main issue I see is that the Emachine's BIOS may not support the E8400, in which case you may need a BIOS update that doesn't exist. Did Emachine have a PC with your motherboard and an E8400 as stock?

supertuesday666

Prominent
Aug 9, 2018
This was the issue i was hoping to tackle. I wasnt able to confirm online its compatibilty but in forums i read members were refering it to my model. I read what you are suggesting in a forum regarding the bios./pc also

Well, I went to the Emachines website and searched for BIOS updates for your model, and there were none. That means that it will either support the E8400 now or it never will. You have to decide if the gain is worth the risk and the cost.

It has been my experience that upgrading a pre-built is almost never cost effective. "You pays your money and you takes your chances!"

Solution