Upgrading Asus k53sm RAM

Vaibhavrocky

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
I want to upgrade my ASUS k53sm ram to 8gb. It has an Elpida stick of 4gb and 11 CAS latency. Which RAM should I purchase, a 1.35v or 1.5v. Also tell me the CAS latency to select and whether to buy a new 8 gb stick or add another 4gb stick beside the elpida?

Solution
You can go with any of the voltages, doesn't matter, since you are mixing with a memory that is 1.5v. Both will work at 1.5v unless both are 1.35v memory.

CAS Latency - the lesser, the better. If mixing two latencies, it will run at highest latency.

Asus K53SM Laptop supports 2 x 4 GB Max. Laptops that support the 1.5v memory will support 1.35v as well, but if you mix two different voltages, it will run in 1.5v. The existing Elpida memory will be 1.5v and the standard memory that comes with the Asus K53SM is 1333 MHz. You can mix different speeds as well. But better to go with same speed.

Single 8 GB RAM is not supported.

Refer this link for compatible Asus K53SM Laptop RAM upgrade:

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSK53SM.html

Vaibhavrocky

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
So which one should I get, one with CAS 11 or with CAS 9. Because as far as I know, the pair will work as fast as the slowest ram in the combination, hence no improvement should be visible with the cas 9 one, right? Also my system does upport 1600 MHz ram(as the elpida stick itself is).

You can go with any of the voltages, doesn't matter, since you are mixing with a memory that is 1.5v. Both will work at 1.5v unless both are 1.35v memory.

CAS Latency - the lesser, the better. If mixing two latencies, it will run at highest latency.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS