Question Upgrading CPU and Motherboard. Some questions

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
So here's the dilemma. I am currently going to upgrade to an Intel Core i7 8700k and a MSI Z390 Gaming Plus Motherboard with 16GB of G.Skill DDR4 RAM. Am also upgrading the PSU to a SuperNova G3 650W

Is there anything i need to keep in mind when upgrading? Would I have to reinstall Windows? (I really dont want to because of how many applications and settings I have saved). And would I have to reinstall even with the same brand and basically model of motherboard?

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
I'd say just bite the bullet and do a fresh install of windows with the new hardware. There will most likely be issues if you don't. With a new motherboard install, I would never consider trying to use the previous windows install, you'll be chasing errors for days.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
I'd say just bite the bullet and do a fresh install of windows with the new hardware. There will most likely be issues if you don't. With a new motherboard install, I would never consider trying to use the previous windows install, you'll be chasing errors for days.
Same brand of motherboard im also guessing the bios are almost identical because MSI Gaming Mobos are known for that. Its even the same the model, the only difference is the Socket type and DDR4 RAM. I mean with all that would it still be a problem even though the drivers they use might be similar?

Last edited:

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Why not try? The trick is: Backup! Keeping the same installation does not mean keeping the same disk.
Like:
Old system runs on trusted super-mega-ssd.
Either (a) copy old running system to <some cheap drive> (use some serious drive-imaging tool). Could even be some 500GB 5400U/min HDD. Now this is <some-chosen-drive>
Or (b) copy it to an even better mega-super-m.2. Not this is <some-chosen-drive>
Install <some-chosen-drive> on new system. Power up. Make it run, see what works and what not.
If it doesn't work, install new system on your trusted mega-super-ssd, or the drive from (b).
Profit. Bonus-package: And you have a backup, to not loose your data.

I do this all the time. Chance to succeed usually >> 50%.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Why not try? The trick is: Backup! Keeping the same installation does not mean keeping the same disk.
Like:
Old system runs on trusted super-mega-ssd.
Either (a) copy old running system to <some cheap drive> (use some serious drive-imaging tool). Could even be some 500GB 5400U/min HDD. Now this is <some-chosen-drive>
Or (b) copy it to an even better mega-super-m.2. Not this is <some-chosen-drive>
Install <some-chosen-drive> on new system. Power up. Make it run, see what works and what not.
If it doesn't work, install new system on your trusted mega-super-ssd, or the drive from (b).
Profit. Bonus-package: And you have a backup, to not loose your data.

I do this all the time. Chance to succeed usually >> 50%.
I have Minitool Shadow Maker OR Macrium Reflect. I also have an WD Green 1TB Drive

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz (Cooled with Corsair H110i)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC Edition GP104 Pascal @ 1.6GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 16GB 1333MHz
Hard Drive#1: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
Hard Drive#2: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB
Solid State Drive#4: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU: Rosewill HIVE Series 650W
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mid Tower
Monitor#1: Acer 27 Inch 1920x1080p LED
Monitor#2: DELL 24 Inch 1920x1080p LCD

Endre

Reputable
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz (Cooled with Corsair H110i)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC Edition GP104 Pascal @ 1.6GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 16GB 1333MHz
Hard Drive#1: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
Hard Drive#2: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB
Solid State Drive#4: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU: Rosewill HIVE Series 650W
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mid Tower
Monitor#1: Acer 27 Inch 1920x1080p LED
Monitor#2: DELL 24 Inch 1920x1080p LCD

So, this is your current configuration?
Never had a problem with G.Skill ever. But i do know a lot of friends who have had problems with Kingston

Please, just type randomly on Google: “memory XMP instability issues”, and you’ll see that the most people who ever had memory instability issues, own G. Skill sticks.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
So, this is your current configuration?

Please, just type randomly on Google: “memory XMP instability issues”, and you’ll see that the most people who ever had memory instability issues, own G. Skill sticks.
Yeah take a look at RAM prices, 3200 Latency 2x 8gb sticks you're not going to find a cheaper value then G.Skill... Also yes I know 8700k only supports up to 2666 Latency buts its good to have just a little more for breathing room. Also I dont plan on using XMP.

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Yeah take a look at RAM prices, 3200 Latency 2x 8gb sticks you're not going to find a cheaper value then G.Skill... Also yes I know 8700k only supports up to 2666 Latency buts its good to have just a little more for breathing room. Also I dont plan on using XMP.

That’s exactly the point: G. Skill offer crazy speeds at low costs! And there’s always a catch in that!
Also, if you plan on not using the XMP profiles, then they’ll run stable, but they might run very slow: below 2666MT/s (2133MT/s-2400MT/s).
Please check the default JEDEC specs before buying them.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
That’s exactly the point: G. Skill offer crazy speeds at low costs! And there’s always a catch in that!
Also, if you plan on not using the XMP profiles, then they’ll run stable, but they might run very slow: below 2666MT/s (2133MT/s-2400MT/s).
Please check the default JEDEC specs before buying them.
Still want to preserve my Windows settings and apps. This wont really matter if I dont choose to go this route. Might not have another option though.

Reactions: Endre