[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU from i5-9400F to i9-9900KF ?

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
So i have decided to buy more powerful CPU for my computer, and there are a few things I should know i suppose = should it perform normally?

My current specifications:
MSI Motherboard Z390-A PRO
Intel i5 9400F (I enabled boost in UEFI to 4.1Ghz a few months earlier)
MSI RTX 2060 6GB
24GB RAM 3200MHz (Ballistix Crucial) 3x8gb in 3 slots ---> 2nd 3rd 4th

Only component i will upgrade is CPU from i5-9400F to i9-9900KF.

Thanks for helpful comments in advance.

Solution
Alright, then should the classic intel cooler be enough? I am about to change only cpu, should I apply new thermal paste on ? I am not thinking of boosting or to overclock the new CPU
No it will not be nothing near enough you will need a high end cooler like a NH D15, Dark Rock Pro 4 or a good AIO cooler I would not go smaller than a 280mm.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Should just be a matter of changing cpu's, no BIOS update needed or anything. Make sure you got proper cooling for it.
Alright, then should the classic intel cooler be enough? I am about to change only cpu, should I apply new thermal paste on ? I am not thinking of boosting or to overclock the new CPU

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
No it will not be nothing near enough you will need a high end cooler like a NH D15, Dark Rock Pro 4 or a good AIO cooler I would not go smaller than a 280mm.

Solution
I'd atleast pay $50 for smth like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU-Cooler-Support/dp/B06ZYB8K77

Silent, affordable (judging by the fact that ur getting a i9), and will cool the i9 without a single problem.
You are getting a i9 after all, which would probably suffocate under the stock cooler, so getting a good aftermarket cooler would be a really good idea. I9 9900kf is a much more powerful cpu than the i5.

Reactions: svorcs

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I'd atleast pay $50 for smth like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU-Cooler-Support/dp/B06ZYB8K77

Silent, affordable (judging by the fact that ur getting a i9), and will cool the i9 without a single problem.
You are getting a i9 after all, which would probably suffocate under the stock cooler, so getting a good aftermarket cooler would be a really good idea. I9 9900kf is a much more powerful cpu than the i5.
Well, i already ordered the Dark Rock Pro 4 200W TDP design, 1400rpm, 96,3 × 136 × 159,4 mm. Will it be enough? I read a lot of 9900k reviews and heard that it emits a lot of heat.
I believe it shouldn't really be a problem because I am not tend to do really demanding or multiple tasks.
I just hope I could install it alone without problems on the MB and socket, because all tools are included in the package.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Then why are you upgrading?

If you are upgrading for gaming, games are in general demanding programs using multiple cores and yes i9 can heat very much very easily.
Alright gaming it is! I hope this cooler will be enough!
if the i5 could stand the gaming i did, i really don't understand why the i9 would be a problem with that expenisve cooler? Am i mising something

Well, i already ordered the Dark Rock Pro 4 200W TDP design, 1400rpm, 96,3 × 136 × 159,4 mm. Will it be enough? I read a lot of 9900k reviews and heard that it emits a lot of heat.
I believe it shouldn't really be a problem because I am not tend to do really demanding or multiple tasks.
I just hope I could install it alone without problems on the MB and socket, because all tools are included in the package.
Dark Rock Pro 4 is better than the one i recommended, so no problems there.
What case do you have?
DRP4 is 160mm tall, so make sure your case supports that height.
Installing the cooler on your cpu/mobo shouldnt be a problem, just strictly follow the instructions.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Dark Rock Pro 4 is better than the one i recommended, so no problems there.
What case do you have?
DRP4 is 160mm tall, so make sure your case supports that height.
Installing the cooler on your cpu/mobo shouldnt be a problem, just strictly follow the instructions.
Ok Alright, thanks for letting me know, I think the case is wide enough I am almost sure, it's not the huge one but 160mm from socket to glass window is for sure. Should I be worried about power supply ? Consumption of the cooler is high.
I think I have a 700 or 650W PSU never checked it because it's hidden inside the panels on the bottom of the case.

"Dark Rock Pro 4 200W TDP"
That 200W doesnt mean that the cooler consumes 200W in order to run, it means that it can cool cpu's that can consume up to 200W when running.
Trust me the cooler you ordered is really big, its better to check the dimensions on the case manufacturer's site now, then be sorry that you need 1-2mm more in order for it to fit later, so what is the exact model of your case?
You should be fine with you current psu unless you want to really push it with a heavy overclock. But overclocking it wont be a good idea cuz you will need a better motherboard to do so. So just keep it stock and you will be all good 🙂.

So i have decided to buy more powerful CPU for my computer, and there are a few things I should know i suppose = should it perform normally?

My current specifications:
MSI Motherboard Z390-A PRO
Intel i5 9400F (I enabled boost in UEFI to 4.1Ghz a few months earlier)
MSI RTX 2060 6GB
24GB RAM 3200MHz (Ballistix Crucial) 3x8gb in 3 slots ---> 2nd 3rd 4th

Only component i will upgrade is CPU from i5-9400F to i9-9900KF.

Thanks for helpful comments in advance.

Besides what the others wrote and if you are not very "techy", I would first go into the BIOS and take pictures or write down any values/settings you changed over the years.

After that, one thing I like to do when upgrading CPU on the same motherboard is (before taking the old CPU out) go into the BIOS and restore it to default/optimized settings + Save and Exit. Then let it load into Windows and check/test it for a while to make sure everything is working fine.

Then shut down the PC and change the CPU.

Anyways, thats what I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: svorcs and Dj0gany

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
"Dark Rock Pro 4 200W TDP"
That 200W doesnt mean that the cooler consumes 200W in order to run, it means that it can cool cpu's that can consume up to 200W when running.
Trust me the cooler you ordered is really big, its better to check the dimensions on the case manufacturer's site now, then be sorry that you need 1-2mm more in order for it to fit later, so what is the exact model of your case?
You should be fine with you current psu unless you want to really push it with a heavy overclock. But overclocking it wont be a good idea cuz you will need a better motherboard to do so. So just keep it stock and you will be all good 🙂.
Aha I thought so TDP meaning how much it can cool. Case is ATX galaxy winder with the width of 205mm, and the MB isn't exactly at the end of the right panel.... Pheew i just hope there's enough space for the vent.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The case supports up to 165mm cpu cooler height, so you are good.
Are you taking into account memory height? The front fan on some dual towers do sit over the ram...
The DRP4's product page does have a picture with G. Skill Trident Z(44mm tall) in it, so as long as the OP doesn't have something taller than that - like Corsair Vengeance Pro(50mm+) - it should be ok.

Are you taking into account memory height? The front fan on some dual towers do sit over the ram...
The DRP4's product page does have a picture with G. Skill Trident Z(44mm tall) in it, so as long as the OP doesn't have something taller than that - like Corsair Vengeance Pro(50mm+) - it should be ok.
He has cruical balistix ram kit, which from what i read on google is around 39-40mm tall, so he should ok?

Reactions: RodroX and Phaaze88

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Besides what the others wrote and if you are not very "techy", I would first go into the BIOS and take pictures or write down any values/settings you changed over the years.

After that, one thing I like to do when upgrading CPU on the same motherboard is (before taking the old CPU out) go into the BIOS and restore it to default/optimized settings + Save and Exit. Then let it load into Windows and check/test it for a while to make sure everything is working fine.

Then shut down the PC and change the CPU.

Anyways, thats what I do.
I didn't actually change anything in the bios(uefi) settings other than XMP ON and GENIE for CPU (i5 9400F) ON, NOW I turned both off restarted the PC then the CPU had a really high changing GHz differ going up and down from 1,9Ghz to 2,9Ghz and the sounds (ventilators) were like wuuuu wuuu WUUUU WU wuuu wuu (like the beginning of song of RZA-TheChase)... Then I enabled XMP ON again, so that RAM is at 3200MHZ now it seems fine. Do you think I can leave XMP ON when i will change the CPU to i9 ???
Thanks a lot for the discussion on this.

Last edited:
I didn't actually change anything in the bios(uefi) settings other than XMP ON and GENIE for CPU (i5 9400F) ON, NOW I turned both off restarted the PC then the CPU had a really high changing GHz differ going up and down from 1,9Ghz to 2,9Ghz and the sounds (ventilators) were like wuuuu wuuu WUUUU WU wuuu wuu (like the beginning of song of RZA-TheChase)... Then I enabled XMP ON again, so that RAM is at 3200MHZ now it seems fine. Do you think I can leave XMP ON when i will change the CPU to i9 ???
Thanks a lot for the discussion on this.
Yea, leave XMP ON, it wont cause any trouble.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Everything worked out fine with dark rock 4 200W and installation of i9 9900KF CPU!
Except the first ram slot (empty) got covered by the ventilator, guess I was lucky and the height of cooler juuuuust tightly fits in the case, i tried a demanding game (BL3) for 10 minutes and no core was over 50°C degrees.
Thanks for support and help everyone.

Reactions: Dj0gany

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
You haven't tried the right game yet. BL3 is gpu heavy, if I remember correctly.
If you play a title that utilizes AVX instructions, or one where you allow fps to run vastly higher over the monitor's refresh rate... both of those increase power consumption.
Alright, at least there's no more stuttering and tearing "fps" with sync on at bl3. I'll do more testing on different kinda plays. Thanks 👍