Question Upgrading CPU from Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 7 5800X ?

Artilery

Reputable
Mar 13, 2020
I know this is newbie question, but I want to make sure everything run perfectly,
These are my specs :
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard : rog strix b550a gaming
Ram : 2x8gb Trident z
Gpu : rx 6700xt nitro+
Psu : Corsair rm 850x

My question is, if I want to upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 5800X.
Do I need to install certain software or is it just plug and play?
Since my motherboard supports Ryzen gen 5, so bios update is not a problem I think, and I plan to upgrade my ram to 4x8gb sticks, is there any problem with this? Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know this is newbie question, but I want to make sure everything run perfectly,
This is my spec :
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard : rog strix b550a gaming
Ram : 2x8gb Trident z
Gpu : rx 6700xt nitro+
Psu : Corsair rm 850x

My question is, if I want to upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 5800x do I need to install certain software? Or just plug and play? Since my motherboard support Ryzen gen 5, so bios update is not a problem I think, and I plan to upgrade my ram to 4x8gb sticks, is there any problem with this? Thanks.

You should verify your BIOS revision first in the CPU compatibility list. Read very closely in the install notes to be sure you don't have to install others before you arrive at the target BIOS. Make sure to turn off any XMP or overclocking, as in set back to the default. Power down, install new CPU, restore power make sure you boot correctly. Once you have confirmed that go back in and set your XMP and such back where you want it.

CPU-Z can be a very helpful tool in relation to your BIOS and XMP settings. That is going to be a nice upgrade.

Artilery

Reputable
Mar 13, 2020
You should verify your BIOS revision first in the CPU compatibility list. Read very closely in the install notes to be sure you don't have to install others before you arrive at the target BIOS. Make sure to turn off any XMP or overclocking, as in set back to the default. Power down, install new CPU, restore power make sure you boot correctly. Once you have confirmed that go back in and set your XMP and such back where you want it.

CPU-Z can be a very helpful tool in relation to your BIOS and XMP settings. That is going to be a nice upgrade.
So I just need to make sure the bios support the new CPU? As for the Ram I need to set the xmp to default before changing it? Noted 👍

So I just need to make sure the bios support the new CPU? As for the Ram I need to set the xmp to default before changing it? Noted 👍
Just update to newest BIOS and when you update it will be at factory defaults so you have to set at least XMP or some other settings if you want to get best performance out of it.
Just one question,what is your CPU cooler ? The Ryzen 5800X is considerably hotter running, and the factory OEM cooler coming with 3600 is not nearly adequate enough, need much stronger one.