[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU from Ryzen 7 2700 ?

JaxDaggerTTV

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
Ok so I have a system (which was wonderfully helped along on these forums a few years back and has done me well)

I will post specs below, but my question is this, I recently got myself a 3060 and it's actually pretty fine atleast far better than the 1070 I had before, but when I stream I notice quite the performance hit so I did a little looking around and noticed alot of people comparing the ryzen 2700 to the ryzen 5600x and outside of stream the frame difference is often insanely good paired with a 5600x

But I kinda of need to know if going from 8 cores to 6 cores is a good idea for streaming games mostly fast paced FPS games to be specific, some sites have shown comparisons where they are only getting 5fps more while streaming on a 5600x compared to the 2700 which is basically minimal gains for the upgrade, but i also hear ryzen 7 5800x is similar but with 8 cores 16 threads, but is it worth the £85 more than I can get the 5600x

I'm also still running a b450 board (manufacturer site says the 5600x is now supported via bios update) so opinions on this if it is necessary are more than welcome

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45337760

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 overclocked to 4.0
Gigabye RTX 3060
WD M.2 500gb
16gb G.SKILL F4 DDR4 overclocked to 3133 MHz

I mostly game and stream on it, I do a little 3D work on blender and mess around on UE5 but im currently ok with the performance of those, so aslong as suggestion won't diminish the performance of those then obviousl it isn't a big focus for my upgrade should I go ahead with it.

I have been using nvenc for encoding so far, but im open to suggestions

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so I have a system (which was wonderfully helped along on these forums a few years back and has done me well)

I will post specs below, but my question is this, I recently got myself a 3060 and it's actually pretty fine atleast far better than the 1070 I had before, but when I stream I notice quite the performance hit so I did a little looking around and noticed alot of people comparing the ryzen 2700 to the ryzen 5600x and outside of stream the frame difference is often insanely good paired with a 5600x

But I kinda of need to know if going from 8 cores to 6 cores is a good idea for streaming games mostly fast paced FPS games to be specific, some sites have shown comparisons where they are only getting 5fps more while streaming...

Lutfij

Titan
The link you've parsed seems to show you're on the BIOS released on the 22nd of April, 2021 which is the latest version. You should be good to go in terms of dropping the processor in. As for your question, you're supposed to be moving upwards not downwards and for your use case scenario you should be getting a 5000 series Ryzen 7 processor at the very least simply because your system deals with gaming and streaming simultaneously.

Can you parse a link to the ram kit? You're loosing performance on your current system with having only 3000MHz, in fact your current platform should do a little bit better with DDR4-3200MHz rams and tighter timings.

Please note, that when going onto the Ryzen 5000 series, you should also look into DDR4-3600MHz rams, you're going to get more performance out of the new CPU.

JaxDaggerTTV

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
The link you've parsed seems to show you're on the BIOS released on the 22nd of April, 2021 which is the latest version. You should be good to go in terms of dropping the processor in. As for your question, you're supposed to be moving upwards not downwards and for your use case scenario you should be getting a 5000 series Ryzen 7 processor at the very least simply because your system deals with gaming and streaming simultaneously.

Can you parse a link to the ram kit? You're loosing performance on your current system with having only 3000MHz, in fact your current platform should do a little bit better with DDR4-3200MHz rams and tighter timings.

Please note, that when going onto the Ryzen 5000 series, you should also look into DDR4-3600MHz rams, you're going to get more performance out of the new CPU.

Thanks for the reply, see I assumed that the 5 7 and 9 made little difference when it came to comparing older generations with new, I was assuming 5 being entry level etc for each new generation but maybe still comparable to older 7s

would the issue with using a ryzen 5 5x series over a ryzen 7 2x series be mostly with the loss of cores/threads?

I was just looking into the ryzen 7 5800x but comparisons showed little difference except for the Much faster 64-core, downside is mostly that one is £200 and the other is £285 so I was trying to work out price to performance originally

also the reason I originally stuck with the 3000MHz was because I was told the tomahawk B450 was limited to 3000 or 3200 (forgot to add my board into my build above) so I just kind of went with what I was told on here worked best at the time with the build. The ram i'm using is 2 x G Skill F4-3000C15-8GVGB 8GB

View: https://imgur.com/a/NjCg8gA

But I kinda of need to know if going from 8 cores to 6 cores is a good idea for streaming games mostly fast paced FPS games to be specific, some sites have shown comparisons where they are only getting 5fps more while streaming on a 5600x compared to the 2700 which is basically minimal gains for the upgrade, but i also hear ryzen 7 5800x is similar but with 8 cores 16 threads, but is it worth the £85 more than I can get the 5600x

I'm also still running a b450 board (manufacturer site says the 5600x is now supported via bios update) so opinions on this if it is necessary are more than welcome

Gigabye RTX 3060
WD M.2 500gb

I mostly game and stream on it, I do a little 3D work on blender and mess around on UE5 but im currently ok with the performance of those, so aslong as suggestion won't diminish the performance of those then obviousl it isn't a big focus for my upgrade should I go ahead with it.

Thanks in advance
When you stream how busy are your cpu/gpu/ram getting?

Do you have optimize setup to run on a schedule for all disk?

Gigabye RTX 3060
WD M.2 500gb

Thanks in advance
5600X (or 5600G) and 5800X (or 5700G) should be plenty for it, and it's going to be a huge CPU Performance upgrade since how different Zen+ and Zen3 cpu works.

Just make sure before you about to install the cpu, disconnect from internet, open device manager and uninstall all the processors like this (should be 16 in your case):
unknown.png

Reboot to bios and update the to latest bios, then shut down, and replace the CPU.

Then after booting to windows install the latest amd chipset driver. Reboot, and enjoy

one of my friend upgraded from 2600x to 5600x and having some bad optimizations on valorant, and i told him to do this step, and it worked. So yeah, pretty much before upgrading them do the steps in order. Download the files needed first (highlighted words) before disconnecting from internet.

Solution

JaxDaggerTTV

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
When you stream how busy are your cpu/gpu/ram getting?

Do you have optimize setup to run on a schedule for all disk?

ram is hitting around 14gb while streaming games like warzone, which isn't a greatly optomized game at times but its a good example of worst case scenario while streaming
my CPU between 60 and 80% but i haven't kept an eye on it TOO often,

as far as i remember i don't, but I do take the time everyone so often to cleanup and defrag etc in general, my main issue was the difference ive been seeing in GPU performance between my CPU and the 5600x quality of the stream is good, rarely have many issues with it, just my frames are pretty low, like not far off of my 1070 kind of low, hence looking into the difference between zen3 and mine

JaxDaggerTTV

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
5600X (or 5600G) and 5800X (or 5700G) should be plenty for it, and it's going to be a huge CPU Performance upgrade since how different Zen+ and Zen3 cpu works.

Just make sure before you about to install the cpu, disconnect from internet, open device manager and uninstall all the processors like this (should be 16 in your case):
unknown.png

Reboot to bios and update the to latest bios, then shut down, and replace the CPU.

Then after booting to windows install the latest amd chipset driver. Reboot, and enjoy

one of my friend upgraded from 2600x to 5600x and having some bad optimizations on valorant, and i told him to do this step, and it worked. So yeah, pretty much before upgrading them do the steps in order. Download the files needed first (highlighted words) before disconnecting from internet.

Are you sure I need to do all of that? as the first reply says

"The link you've parsed seems to show you're on the BIOS released on the 22nd of April, 2021 which is the latest version. You should be good to go in terms of dropping the processor in"

I don't play valorant but I assume that issue would be due to the way their anti-cheat works, did they have any issues in any other games? i've just never heard of uninstalling the cores before

i've just never heard of uninstalling the cores before
I've had done this numerous time before, even to my own rig, when my friend decided to upgrade to a greater core count and different architechture. some of them are stuck on the previous core count and threads even tho the current used is more than previous, even after reflashing bios etc, and some of them just wont perform well. I think i've done this kind of thing before to a person in this forum where he complaint about poor performance in fps games, using these steps, and it worked, back to normal (i think he upgraded cpu to 2600 from something, i forgot XD)

For me, changing into different cpu architechture or more cpu cores and threads, should do this before installing the new cpu (except bios, if its already updated). Sometimes windows just wont optimize or/and utilize the core/thread count propperly.

Are you sure I need to do all of that? as the first reply says
except the bios update, just make sure you're on the latest :D

Last edited:
ram is hitting around 14gb while streaming games like warzone, which isn't a greatly optomized game at times but its a good example of worst case scenario while streaming
my CPU between 60 and 80% but i haven't kept an eye on it TOO often,

as far as i remember i don't, but I do take the time everyone so often to cleanup and defrag etc in general, my main issue was the difference ive been seeing in GPU performance between my CPU and the 5600x quality of the stream is good, rarely have many issues with it, just my frames are pretty low, like not far off of my 1070 kind of low, hence looking into the difference between zen3 and mine
If you setup optimize windows will defrag/retrim on an as needed basis.
Sort of a set it and forget it tool for keeping you disk running well and it's free.
One less thing you have to manually do.

Just picking around the edges...how busy is your page file when gaming/streaming?