Upgrading CPU I7-2600 - I5-6600K

Nogton

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Hello guys.

I currently have a slightly aging 2600 setup. my specs are as follows: i7-2600, 8GB crucial 1600 DDR3 RAM, need new motherboard, MSI GTX 960 (just upgraded).

I love gaming with every settings maxed out, over 1080p with minimum 60 FPS. I only use my pc for gaming and programming.
First of all I need a new motherboard anyways, so should I just make the jump to LGA-1151? The price of motherboard are pretty much the same, those I have looked on.
But if i make the jump i need to upgrade on most cases to DDR4, is that worth it? I know 6600k, would run on both DDR3 or DDR4.

Solution
It's not just the skylake cpu that supports the ddr3/4, it's up to the motherboard manufacturer and how they decide to build it. If they use ddr4 dimms then it will require ddr4. In terms of ddr3, it's not standard ddr3 but ddr3L which is low powered ddr3 (ddr4 also uses less than the standard 1.5-1.65v) so your ability to reuse your ddr3 ram with an lga1151 motherboard is negated either way.

You don't really need an i7 for gaming, especially at 1080p. It may help with the programming you do, compiling code and whatnot since even though it's older the i7 has hyperthreading. For the money I'd just try to find a replacement board for the hardware you currently have. The component holding you back in games right now the most is likely...

Nogton

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

But, do I need a i7 when I am just gaming over 1080p, alot of people told me it wasn't necessary to use i7.
I just looked on the price between those two, its around 70 $ but then i can use my old DDR3.

On the other hand if I just upgraded to a motherboard supporting DDR3 ram, instead of support DDR4, would it have a huge difference?

Right now there little to no difference between DDR3 and DDR4 in gaming.
Your cpu is still decent for gaming, if you can find a cheap H61 or socket 1155 motherboard, you could wait one more generation after Skylake or wait for Skylake-E. Skylake hasn't offer much changed, the major change was the removal of FIVIR or 20 pcie lanes: 4 more pcie lanes for USB/SATA/M.2 and newer instructions sets.

Nogton

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

It sounds fair enough. I would give it a try and look after a 1155 motherboard.
So far best solution :)

It's not just the skylake cpu that supports the ddr3/4, it's up to the motherboard manufacturer and how they decide to build it. If they use ddr4 dimms then it will require ddr4. In terms of ddr3, it's not standard ddr3 but ddr3L which is low powered ddr3 (ddr4 also uses less than the standard 1.5-1.65v) so your ability to reuse your ddr3 ram with an lga1151 motherboard is negated either way.

You don't really need an i7 for gaming, especially at 1080p. It may help with the programming you do, compiling code and whatnot since even though it's older the i7 has hyperthreading. For the money I'd just try to find a replacement board for the hardware you currently have. The component holding you back in games right now the most is likely the gpu even though you just upgraded. The 960 isn't a bad card but it's more middle of the road and upgrading even to a new i7 6700k skylake with ddr4 won't overcome the limits of the 960.

Solution

Nogton

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Make sense, I would order A new motherborard for my 2600.
And wait for the upgrade, thanks for your answers guys!!