Upgrading CPU/Motherboard and installing Windows 8.1 Pro

Weepleman

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi, so basically, I just wanted to make sure that I will be doing everything right before I mess something up. I'm upgrading my CPU/motherboard, so I bought 8.1 Pro because I had 7 OEM. Right now, I have my old motherboard and cpu installed, and I made an instal disk for 8.1. Basically, what I'm asking is what order should I do everything. Should I install the mobo and cpu and then boot with the install cd in? Should I upgrade to 8.1 while using the old cpu/mobo? Also, do I need internet to do any of this if I already have made intsall cd? I'm moving, and might not have internet for a few days and want to try out my new parts. Lastly, I want to keep all of my data on my two hard drives (one 1TB drive and a 2 TB drive), and I'm also buying a graphics card, and I don't know when the best time to install that would be. Thank you for all of the help, and if anyone has any advice that I missed, it would be greatly appreciated.

You must install new cpu and mobo, then boot up with the windows 8.1 install disk. This will install windows 8.1 on the new system. No you wont need any internet access, only to install windows updates in the future. It doesnt matter when u install the graphics card, but u may as well install it when you put the whole system together. :)

Weepleman

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I need everything if I can get it. I have a lot of games from steam and other places that would take a long time to download, and a lot of documents and pictures. Would moving the data that I want to the second hard drive help things?

shiva92

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Assemble your new PC and install 8.1. Before installing the OS, assemble your PC and go for a Dry Run(Check whether the BIOS is posting or not). If the Dry Run is successful, install your Graphics card and install 8.1. You should have internet connection for verification.