[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU needs another BIOS version which needs ASUS BIOS-updater which needs Intel MIE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello,

I am to upgrade my PC from 2014's CPU to i4790k and in order to do that I figured I needed the latest BIOS version of my motherboard Z87M-plus. Unfortunately this version was corrupt when you put it in on a USB drive and installed it and apparently it only works if you update it through ASUS BIOS-updater. So a normal replacement of the new CPU did not work so now I am trying to change BIOS to a version that works for the new CPU.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...h-i7-4790k-dont-work.2233540/page-2?view=date

So to use ASUS BIOS-updater you need to install Intel Management Engine Interface. I installed v11 but unfortunately newer versions does not seem to work (for Windows 10?) when you're about to start up ASUS Bios updater because I am faced with the message of 'make sure drivers are properly installed'. People have come around this problems earlier:

However they fixed it by installing a version of the IMEI which does not exist on the site anymore. I have tried v11 and v6 installer as well but it says 'your computer does not fulfill the requirements for this program'.

So Im a bit stuck here and would appreciate help

Best regards

Solution
Hello,

I am to upgrade my PC from 2014's CPU to i4790k and in order to do that I figured I needed the latest BIOS version of my motherboard Z87M-plus. Unfortunately this version was corrupt when you put it in on a USB drive and installed it and apparently it only works if you update it through ASUS BIOS-updater. So a normal replacement of the new CPU did not work so now I am trying to change BIOS to a version that works for the new CPU.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...h-i7-4790k-dont-work.2233540/page-2?view=date

So to use ASUS BIOS-updater you need to install Intel Management Engine Interface. I installed...

Endre

Reputable
Hello,

So to use ASUS BIOS-updater you need to install Intel Management Engine Interface. I installed v11 but unfortunately newer versions does not seem to work (for Windows 10?) when you're about to start up ASUS Bios updater because I am faced with the message of 'make sure drivers are properly installed'. People have come around this problems earlier:

However they fixed it by installing a version of the IMEI which does not exist on the site anymore. I have tried v11 and v6 installer as well but it says 'your computer does not fulfill the requirements for this program'.

So Im a bit stuck here and would appreciate help

Best regards

Hello!

For updating the BIOS, you shouldn’t use any tool provided by Asus or any other vendor!

The best way to do it is by:
  1. Downloading the new BIOS file. Download a non-beta BIOS (Usually, betas have a letter at the end of their name).
  2. Formatting a USB flash drive as FAT32.
  3. Insert the flash drive in a USB 2.0 port (for better compatibility).
Copy the new BIOS file on the flash drive.
  1. Restart the PC.
  2. Enter BIOS menu by pressing “End” or “Delete” key.
  3. Update the BIOS.

WARNINGS:
  1. You should always backup your data before proceeding!
  2. You should always load the BIOS optimal settings before proceeding!
  3. If a power drop accures while updating the BIOS, you might end up with a bricked motherboard!
(Don’t do it at rush hours or if there’s a storm outside!).

I hope these infos help...

Reactions: LeviTech
Solution

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello!

For updating the BIOS, you shouldn’t use any tool provided by Asus or any other vendor!

The best way to do it is by:
  1. Downloading the new BIOS file. Download a non-beta BIOS (Usually, betas have a letter at the end of their name).
  2. Formatting a USB flash drive as FAT32.
  3. Insert the flash drive in a USB 2.0 port (for better compatibility).
Copy the new BIOS file on the flash drive.
  1. Restart the PC.
  2. Enter BIOS menu by pressing “End” or “Delete” key.
  3. Update the BIOS.
WARNINGS:
  1. You should always backup your data before proceeding!
  2. You should always load the BIOS optimal settings before proceeding!
  3. If a power drop accures while updating the BIOS, you might end up with a bricked motherboard!
(Don’t do it at rush hours or if there’s a storm outside!).

I hope these infos help...
Is this only what is needed to make the very same BIOS file work?

I still have to use Asus EZ in bios in order to do this with the very same BIOS file? What is the difference that will make this bios work on the 4790k?

The file I used on my USB was one of the latest drivers but it is somehow corrupt and won't work with newer processors unless you update BIOS through Asus Bios-updater accordingly to the comments in the thread linked above.

I am not very good with computers so that is why I ask,

Best regards
Dercie

Endre

Reputable
Is this only what is needed to make the very same BIOS file work?

I still have to use Asus EZ in bios in order to do this with the very same BIOS file? What is the difference that will make this bios work on the 4790k?

The file I used on my USB was one of the latest drivers but it is somehow corrupt and won't work with newer processors unless you update BIOS through Asus Bios-updater accordingly to the comments in the thread linked above.

I am not very good with computers so that is why I ask,

Best regards
Dercie

Hello!

If you follow the steps of my earlier post, you should be able to update the BIOS.

Please remember: don’t use a beta BIOS!
Use the newest non-beta BIOS available on your motherboard’s official site!

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello!

If you follow the steps of my earlier post, you should be able to update the BIOS.

Please remember: don’t use a beta BIOS!
Use the newest non-beta BIOS available on your motherboard’s official site!
I downloaded the BIOS last time from ASUS home page. Version 1107 which I am currently running on my Bios with my old CPU.

The only difference I see is to format it as FAT32. Will this actually make it work so I can use the new proccessor?

Can older USB sticks format as FAT32?

I used the EZ Flash last time as well

Endre

Reputable
I downloaded the BIOS last time from ASUS home page. Version 1107 which I am currently running on my Bios with my old CPU.

The only difference I see is to format it as FAT32. Will this actually make it work so I can use the new proccessor?

Can older USB sticks format as FAT32?

I used the EZ Flash last time as well

Yes. Any stick can be formatted as FAT32.

USB flash drives can be formatted directly in Windows.
Just insert the flash drive. Then right-click on it/ select Format/ select the type of Format: FAT32.

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
I have currently downloaded the latest BIOS, renamed it via BRenamer to Z87MPLUS.CAP and I will try to use the ASUS Flashback and NOT the EZ Flash as in the motherboard BIOS as I used previously. According to this thread it helped a guy spending 47 hours because ASUS EZ Flash2 will not update correctly in 1/3 bios versions.

I have also formatted FAT32 for my old USB drive and put the .CAP file there.

Now I will try to update bios to the same version which I already have (the latest) through Flashback

Updating soon!

Endre

Reputable
I have currently downloaded the latest BIOS, renamed it via BRenamer to Z87MPLUS.CAP and I will try to use the ASUS Flashback and NOT the EZ Flash as in the motherboard BIOS as I used previously. According to this thread it helped a guy spending 47 hours because ASUS EZ Flash2 will not update correctly in 1/3 bios versions.

I have also formatted FAT32 for my old USB drive and put the .CAP file there.

Now I will try to update bios to the same version which I already have (the latest) through Flashback

Updating soon!

If it’s the same BIOS version, I’m not sure if it will work.
If it doesn’t, then you should try to downgrade to the previous non-beta one.

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
If it’s the same BIOS version, I’m not sure if it will work.
If it doesn’t, then you should try to downgrade to the previous non-beta one.
Yes, I don't think the latest version is a beta version, but I will try to downgrade if this does not work.

According to this Z87m-plus motherboard manual I can use AI Suite 3 to Flashback BIOS. However, there is no such thing as Flashback BIOS on the AI Suite 3 version that is posted to ASUS Driver & Utilities for Z87M-plus. There is only USB 3.0 boost.

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
So the version of AI Suite 3 that ASUS supplies is too old and does not contain Flashback.

According to the motherboard manual under section 2.2.2 you flashback by 'pressing the reset button and your LED starts to flash.' What reset button? The on/off power button on the chassi? I just did and I can not see anything happen. No flashing or anything, the PC begins to start up when I push the button and will restart if I hold it for three seconds as normal.

Any idea?

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Or is this how it is supposed to be? I did not notice anything. Also there is no way for me to see if the flashback works since it is the same bios and will look the same in the BIOS versions...

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
I do not think the Flashback works without a specific reset button which my chassi does not have. Any idea how to do it in a other way?

I will contact ASUS support because their product and tools are not functioning. There must be a way to flash the bios you want so it will work for newer CPUs.

Dercie

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::mdr::mdr::mdr::mdr:🤣🤣🤣

I found the smallest little reset button inside the door to the right of the front which I had never seen before. It worked to flashback the BIOS this way. It was the very same version I had before so the fault is completely at ASUS EZ2 Flash in the Bios which does not seem reliable and like one said, 1 out of 3 versions will be corrupt if you use their tool, which is very confusing. IMO Asus should have notes that say this before you even attemt to update bios on their website.

if anyone reads this from the future and have problem updating CPU the solution is to NOT use the EZ2 Flash while updating Bios. If you can flashback its great and that is what ended up working for me by reading my motherboards and chassis manual.

If flashback is not an option, what I would do next was to somehow find a version of Intel MIE that works so you can use ASUS Bios-updater. Previous have found their solution this way by using v9 (read my previous posts). There must be a compliable version of MIE out there somewhere.

If you have a problem finding one I would suggest to just contact ASUS support (which I didnt, but I've read that they are good and many got help this way) so they can help you out.

In hindsight, thats probably what I should have done at first. But the fault lies at ASUS for not supplying tools that work and it falls on the customer to work it out.

Anyways, I am now happy to un a 4790k on my old Z87M-plus motherboard :mdr::bounce:

Oct 29, 2021
Agree. FlashBack is the way to go! I upgraded to 4790k in my Z87-Plus and it was the same story. The 4790k would not work when I flashed with EZ flash, and I am unable to use the Windows method (because IMEI driver doesn't work), which left only FlashBack. FlashBack worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.