Question Upgrading CPU - X570 Or Wait?

g-unit1111

Titan
So I am interested in upgrading my CPU on my primary rig to a 3900X but I'm wondering if I should go for it or wait for LGA 1200 and 4th gen Ryzen? I would suspect that when 4th gen Ryzen CPUs and motherboards are released that prices will drop significantly on 3rd gen Ryzen. And I do understand that I could update the BIOS on my current setup and throw the 3900X without having to buy a new motherboard but I've had this board a while and it's been put through several builds and rebuilds, and I am looking for a replacement. I am also planning on converting all my storage to M2 and my motherboard currently can house 2 drives, but I would prefer at least 3.

Here's my current setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: Asrock X370 Taichi
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR-3200 (4 x 8GB)
M2 SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB
SSD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070
Case: NZXT S340 Elite
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

This is what I am planning on upgrading to:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (new)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra (new)

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 (reused)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR-3200 (4 x 8GB) (reused)
M2 SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB (reused)
SSD: Intel 660P 2TB (new)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 (reused)
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (reused)
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W (reused)

g-unit1111

Titan
A 3900x is a bit overkill for gaming considering the price. A 3700x would be a nice upgrade.

I do a lot more with my PC besides gaming which is why the 3900X was warranted.

Why not one of the new gen 4 NVME drives?

Depends on how expensive they are. I like the Intel 660P because it's cheap and I really only need it for secondary storage because I want to free up cables and use the drive that I have in there now in another machine.

I have a 1700x overclocked to 3.8ghz on a b350 board. I considered a 3600x because primarily I'm just gaming on my PC. But at this point, I'm just waiting to see what the 4000 series chips look like. I figure I'll either go with one of those, or the 3000 series should drop to lower prices at that point.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I suggest waiting for Ryzen 4000 at this point. It's the last series to run on AM4, and should at least be the best of the best the platform has to offer.
If 'I' were to get a 3900X now for the next x-number of years knowing there was a 4900X or whatever right around the corner, it would leave a 'sour taste', if I'm to be subtle about it.
Don't even look at Skylake Refresh Infinity. LGA 1200 is going to be the same old bag of tricks from Intel.
I'm sure they can make a comeback - they've got the money. But with what's coming up soon... that's not it(comeback).

So I am interested in upgrading my CPU on my primary rig to a 3900X but I'm wondering if I should go for it or wait for LGA 1200 and 4th gen Ryzen? I would suspect that when 4th gen Ryzen CPUs and motherboards are released that prices will drop significantly on 3rd gen Ryzen. And I do understand that I could update the BIOS on my current setup and throw the 3900X without having to buy a new motherboard but I've had this board a while and it's been put through several builds and rebuilds, and I am looking for a replacement. I am also planning on converting all my storage to M2 and my motherboard currently can house 2 drives, but I would prefer at least 3.

Here's my current setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: Asrock X370 Taichi
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR-3200 (4 x 8GB)
M2 SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB
SSD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070
Case: NZXT S340 Elite
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

This is what I am planning on upgrading to:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (new)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra (new)

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 (reused)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR-3200 (4 x 8GB) (reused)
M2 SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB (reused)
SSD: Intel 660P 2TB (new)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 (reused)
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (reused)
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W (reused)
Depends how satisfied you are with present system. Taichi is very good MB and you should have no trouble dropping 3900x even now seeing how you intend to keep same RAM because only real impediment is RAM faster than 3200MHz on 300 series chipset.
Other problem is only one real NVMe socket, second one is x2 only but nothing a PCIe adapter can't fix.
Only real advantage of x570 is PCIe v4 which includes faster NVMe but you don't seem to consider it.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I would wait.Hell i got a R5 2600 and not once did i feel like i have to upgrade.I may go for a 4th gen ryzen if it's good 3rd gen was mediocre in my personal opinion.Just see what the 4000 series has to offer.There's a rumor that it will have a 17% increase in IPC compared to 3rd gen but take it with a grain of salt as i never believe rumors.

At first, I almost regretted upgrading to 3700x from 2700x and spending some 50 bucks more as normal work at stock settings was not visibly affected. Now with new BIOS and some tweaking it's good 20% better performance and that is already showing even in normal use.