Question Upgrading Drives in a Storage Spaces Mirror

fastoy

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
I have a Windows 11 Pro system with a Storage Spaces two-way mirror. Unknown to me, it was "thin provisioned". It consists of 2 4TB drives giving "8TB" of capacity. I realize that this is really only 4TB of capacity.

I would like to upgrade this Storage Space to 2 8TB drives giving a true 8TB of capacity.

What steps would I need to do to accomplish this? When completed, can I remove the specification of thin provisioning so the true capacity is presented?

upgrading-drives-in-a-storage-spaces-mirror-v0-bpi4mubo0bjd1.png

fastoy

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Thanks but right now I'm too far down the road with Storage Spaces. Let me get over this and I'll revisit.

My thinking is to use Storage Spaces and REMOVE one of the 4TB drives. Then ADD an 8TB drive and let Storage Spaces reestablish the mirror. When that is done, REMOVE the other 4TB drive and ADD a second 8TB drive. When Storage Spaces reestablishes the mirror, I should be done.

Even if Storage Spaces doesn't readjust the thin provisioning size from the current 8TB, that's what I actually prefer.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks but right now I'm too far down the road with Storage Spaces. Let me get over this and I'll revisit.

My thinking is to use Storage Spaces and REMOVE one of the 4TB drives. Then ADD an 8TB drive and let Storage Spaces reestablish the mirror. When that is done, REMOVE the other 4TB drive and ADD a second 8TB drive. When Storage Spaces reestablishes the mirror, I should be done.

Even if Storage Spaces doesn't readjust the thin provisioning size from the current 8TB, that's what I actually prefer.
The only experience I have with StorageSpaces is....don't use StorageSpaces.
There are much better methods for data security.

Will your plan work? Unknown.

Is there a known good backup of ALL data on those drives, before you start swapping things around?
If not, you are playing with matches, while standing in a pool of gasoline.