Question Upgrading existing SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dirtydancin

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
So I just bought a new ssd and I was wondering how would I switch out my old one with the new one without losing any information/files from the old ssd? Should i just try and move everything to my d drive and then move everything back or is that even possible or is there an easier way of doing this. Please let me know. Thank you.

dirtydancin

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
Describe, in your own words, what that video is telling you to do.
From what I can remember from the video. You first have to put your new ssd in the enclosure and then download macrium
Then initialize the new ssd using disk management and make sure GPT is selected
Then do the entire cloning process where you move the old ssd information/c drive onto the newer external ssd within the enclosure.
After that you would have to remove the old ssd from your pc and then put in the new ssd.
Everything should work perfectly fine after doing all of this.
And to add the rest of the storage you could use macrium to do so.
Sorry Im not the best at explaining but the guy in the video made things very simple and I just wanted to make sure this was a correct way to transfer old ssd info onto a new one. Since my ssd contains all the important things such as windows.

dirtydancin

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
Well...my steps above, you do not need an enclosure.
Click click, you could be done in a hour.

Or, you can order an enclosure, wait a couple of days for it to show up, and do it the way he suggests.
Okay I think ill end up doing it the way you explained to make things quick and easy, but thank you for the help I greatly appreciate it. Have a happy new years.