Question upgrading from 3080 to 4080/4090 questions

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello, I've been getting a lot of trouble lately with my 3080 where a lot of the new games (even some of the older ones like call of duty) would constantly stutter no matter what I did. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that my 3080 is the 10gb version and that amount of vram simply isn't enough anymore it seems especially at 1440p with raytracing. I was really hoping to wait at least until the 50 series cards come out to upgrade, but the performance right now is so bad with raytracing already that there is no point waiting 2 years. Some of the games that stutter heavily or get a lot of frame drops are basically all the new ones like Dead Space, Hogwarts Legacy (I know Hogwarts is "unoptimized" but the 3080 still struggles to run raytracing in just about any game. I feel like now I have to upgrade, but there are a bunch of concerns I have that I'm hoping you guys could help me address.

1- I have a Corsair HX1200w PSU and that's just a 2.0 PSU so I would have to use an adapter, however I heard that Corsair made their own 12vhpwr cable and I need to know EXACTLY which cable I need to get for my particular PSU because there are multiple versions of that cable, do I have to get type 4? if possible just give me the name of the cable i'm suppose to get.
2- GPU clearance in terms of length is not a problem, my problem is with GPU height because i'm trying to make sure that I have at least 35mm before any kind of bend on the cable to avoid any problems. I would like to know which 4080 would be small enough in height that would allow me to do that with my case? I have a Corsair icue 5000x case
3- Are there any risks of using a 2.0 PSU or do I really really have to get a 3.0 PSU? my problem is, not only do I have one of these HX 1200W PSUs but I have two of them since I had one in my other PC so getting another PSU just because its 3.0 feels like a terrible waste.

Feel free to share your experience of how your 3080 is running just fine and isn't having any trouble running the games I mentioned, but at least answer some of the questions I asked above while you're at it. Thank you.

Full specs:
i7 12700k no OC
MSI RTX 3080 10gb
Corsair HX12000w PSU
Corsair Icue 5000x case
CORSAIR DDR5 32GB

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
The HX is a Type 4 so yes it will work.
Ok thanks. 1 more question though. I have a Corsair icue 5000x case and I want to make sure that whichever 4090 I get has enough room for the cable so it allows the cable at least 35mm of space before any bend. Do you think the ASUS TUF gaming rtx 4090 oc edition for example would fit in the case fine when it comes to length as well as width ?

better yet, is there a 90 degree version of this cable that I could use? If so that would make life 100 times easier

Last edited:

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Google the card you have length/Height and just go look at the case size.

You can get a cables that don't bend as much depend on the case layout, and power supply.

Good luck!

For example first result on google

"
Corsair iCUE 5000X Overview
This case supports GPUs measuring up to 15.7" in length, CPU coolers measuring up to 6.7" in height, and PSUs measuring up to 9.8" in length. "

Reactions: Why_Me

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok thanks. 1 more question though. I have a Corsair icue 5000x case and I want to make sure that whichever 4090 I get has enough room for the cable so it allows the cable at least 35mm of space before any bend. Do you think the ASUS TUF gaming rtx 4090 oc edition for example would fit in the case fine when it comes to length as well as height?
Look up the dimensions of the card of interest.
ASUS TUF RTX 4090 Gaming OC (160mm)
Add 35mm... 195mm.
Next, what's the cpu cooler clearance of the case? The clearance for the gpu is going to be very close to that. You can measure off the top of the PCIe slot yourself if you need the specific number.
Cooler clearance is 170mm.

195mm | 170mm
Tight fit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
195mm is 7.7 inches
170mm is 6.6

that don't seem that close to me in my experience on building things. It will work fine.

I see zero issues with this.
Uhh, 25mm is a huge gap.
If the card is 160mm from the PCIe slot to the side panel...
The OP wanted to avoid bending the 16pin adapter too sharply; thus the 35mm or greater recommendation from the side of the card, but it adds to the card's total width...
The 5000X's cpu cooler clearance is 170mm...

There's just 10mm of clearance for that 16pin adapter jutting out of the side of the card. The case is 25mm short.
OP is best off using a 90 degree adapter for this.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Uhh, 25mm is a huge gap.
If the card is 160mm from the PCIe slot to the side panel...
The OP wanted to avoid bending the 16pin adapter too sharply; thus the 35mm or greater recommendation from the side of the card, but it adds to the card's total width...
The 5000X's cpu cooler clearance is 170mm...

There's just 10mm of clearance for that 16pin adapter jutting out of the side of the card. The case is 25mm short.
OP is best off using a 90 degree adapter for this.
If I use this https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-12vhpwr-90-degree-angled-adapter-variant-b/.
Which takes 21mm of space, that’s still 160mm+ 21= 181mm and my case fits up to 170mm width. Im still 1 1mm short even with a 90 degree adapter….
Can I even use this adapter I linked with the type 4 cable from Corsair? Maybe if I find a 4090 that’s a little shorter in width it’ll fit with the 90 degree adapter.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If I use this https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-12vhpwr-90-degree-angled-adapter-variant-b/.
Which takes 21mm of space, that’s still 160mm+ 21= 181mm and my case fits up to 170mm width. Im still 1 1mm short even with a 90 degree adapter….
Can I even use this adapter I linked with the type 4 cable from Corsair?
Geez, I guess the TUF Gaming is just too chunky...
170 - 21, minus an extra mm to be on the safe side... 148mm or less for a smooth fit.

Colorful iGame Advanced
Gainward Phantom
Galax SG
Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Waterforce(gpu AIO)
Inno3D iChill Black(gpu AIO)
Inno3D iChill X3
Msi Gaming Trio
Msi Suprim
Msi Ventus 3X
Founder's
Palit Gamerock
PNY Verto
PNY XLR8 Verto Epic-X
It's not all of the possible options, but should be most of them.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
how about this card?
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-4090-rtx-4090-gaming-x-trio-classic-24g/p/N82E16814137785
Google says its width is 140mm. So 140+21 for the adapter is 161mm and I have 170mm of space supposedly so it should fit, yeah? Are you guys sure that the cpu cooler clearance is about the same for GPU? Doesn’t the pcie slot take up a bit more space compared to the cpu cooler?

edit: actually im not even sure if the adapter is compatible with that msi card. Do I need to get variant A or B? Can i even use this adapter along with this cable? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming Trio is already in the list provided above, which are all linked to TPU's database, which includes dimensions.

Doesn’t the pcie slot take up a bit more space compared to the cpu cooler?
We're talking the distance from the PCIe slot to the side panel and the top of the cpu to the side panel. The former is going to be of a similar distance to the cpu cooler spec, but if you want to know the exact number, you're going to have to measure from the PCIe slot yourself.

edit: actually im not even sure if the adapter is compatible with that msi card. Do I need to get variant A or B? Can i even use this adapter along with this cable? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/600W-PCIe-5-0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284
Why would it not be compatible? These things aren't proprietary, as far as I know. @Why_Me