Upgrading from 500gb HDD to 250gb Samsung Evo 850 (PC)

FelisFelix

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
So I have a new SSD turning up today, and while I've been reading a lot of posts regarding data migration they have still left me with some questions. Some guides are a few years old, some only take into account copying a smaller amount of data than the new ssd (and leave out cleaning upnafterwards) and those that would help me aren't entirely clear :??:

So I'll list my questions and if somebody can help me out that's ace, otherwise I'll give it a go when the delivery arrives and hopefully it should all work out! :')

1. Naturally I don't want to do a clean install, so I'd like to migrate. Does the Samsung software allow me to specifically select the OS and a few games? If not, what is the best practice to separating these?

2. I can probably reduce the HDD size for a straight swap, if I do that is moving game files, program files such as CCleaner, and other media as simple as drag and drop back to my C drive?

3. Once all this is done, and if there's not much left on the hdd (I pretty much only have game screenshots, no music or videos), should I just reformat it? And then will it instantly be available as a storage drive?

4. Am I missing anything? :wahoo:

FelisFelix

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Right, so I've done a fresh install and copied games over, relatively clean transition.

One thing.

I now have:

C drive (SSD)
E drive (I have labelled this as "what is this")
F drive (my old hdd)

I think E is a partition I accidentally created, long story short, installed Windows to C via. USB, PC restart, boots from USB again and I err... installed it again...

Is there an easy way to get rid of this partition?