[SOLVED] "Upgrading" from a Dell Optiplex 3010 to a 9010 ?

Aug 10, 2021
"Upgrading" from a dell optiplex 3010 to a 9010. Can I just move my ssd with OS or do I have to reinstall windows 10 to upgrade drivers? Being different chipsets, I think I know the answer ,but I've worked hard to clean up windows and hate to start over again. Thanks.

Solution
I'm a little more optimistic. Both are from 2012 and have a lot in common. I think it will work, but you must have this version of Windows 10 associated with your Microsoft account. Be smart and check before in the 3010 settings if your account is activated, associated with an email and phone. When you move Windows 10 to 9010, link it to your Microsoft account, which will activate it. In real life Windows tends to find the right drivers and if something doesn't work you can download it directly from Dell. However, as USAFRet well said, make a backup or create an image in some other HD before.
Aug 10, 2021
I acquired it with no hard drive. I already have psu, cpu cooler, ram kit, ssd, hd, gpu, The actual reason for the swap was the 9010 has sata 3 and usb 3 and a slightly better cpu. 3010 has i5 3570 4 cores 4 threads, 9010 has 17 3770 4 cores 8 thread. 3010 ram limited to 1333 and 9010 clocks to 1600 I believe. And I have a 2x8 kit of 1600 .Just a bit more performance, but I got the 9010 REALY cheap. So hence the swap. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I thought about uninstalling or deleting all the drivers I can find on my ssd first and let windows reinstall them when I put it in the new system, but I may just try it first. Don't think it will hurt anything. I'll be away for about a week but I'll post the outcome when I get back.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the reply. I thought about uninstalling or deleting all the drivers I can find on my ssd first and let windows reinstall them when I put it in the new system, but I may just try it first. Don't think it will hurt anything. I'll be away for about a week but I'll post the outcome when I get back.
Have a known good backup of anything on that drive you wish to keep.
Things may go sideways, no matter what you do.

Reactions: Cactus 52

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
I'm a little more optimistic. Both are from 2012 and have a lot in common. I think it will work, but you must have this version of Windows 10 associated with your Microsoft account. Be smart and check before in the 3010 settings if your account is activated, associated with an email and phone. When you move Windows 10 to 9010, link it to your Microsoft account, which will activate it. In real life Windows tends to find the right drivers and if something doesn't work you can download it directly from Dell. However, as USAFRet well said, make a backup or create an image in some other HD before.

Reactions: Cactus 52
Solution
Aug 10, 2021
ErickParker
Thanks for your reply. This is just kind of a hobby since retiring 3 years ago. I was fortunate to win an auction last year which included 4-3010's, 3 levano think centers, a couple of old IBM's , and some printers and monitors. Out of all this, I've cobbled together 3 decent computers and 1 "gaming" computer. So, yes, I've dealt with the Windows activation stuff prior to this build. Not my favorite part of building. Anyway, like I said, it's a small upgrade but I'm moving my gaming stuff into the 9010. I do appreciate your your confidence and will let you know the outcome when I get it done. Thanks

Aug 10, 2021
Well, changed the thermal paste, dropped in the os ssd, 2 hard drives, gpu, ram and psu and the computer didn't miss a beat. Took about 10 seconds for the graphics card to kick in and away we go. Just so you know, I tried one item at a time to make sure, but all went well. Thanks everyone for the input. Oh yeah, funny thing, I didn't even have to redo the windows stuff. Update: after about an hour, I did have to reactivate windows 10.

Last edited: