Question Upgrading from GTX 1070 to RTX 3070 (GPU + CPU + Older Gen mobo question)

mojone87

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask for opinion regarding the topic above.

TL/DR:
Current setup
Asus B350-f strix
Ryzen 5 1600
Asus strix Gtx 1070 8g
16 G ram DDR4 (8x2) (Ripjaws https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nqp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvrb)
SSD & Sata

I am thinking to finally upgrade my GPU but i understand that i will have to also need to upgrade my CPU the same time.

Upgrade target:
Ryzen 5 5600 (new)
RTX 3070 (used)
Nvme & SSD upgrade (not sure yet)

Mobo - Sticking with the Bf350-f strix since AM4 and checked on Asus website it does support Ryzen 5000 series and im want to save some $ for the GPU.
Ram - Not upgrading

Usage: Gaming (Non-competitive/casual) primarily Destiny 2, Medium to heavy photo editing / design use (adobe), Probably some light video editing & rendering.

My Question:
Does anyone have similar setup and if this new + old pairing will have bottleneck issues or any other issue that i should be aware of? i know 4070 launch is just around the corner but this time around im in a little bit of a tight budget. Any advice is welcome and thank you very much in advance!

p/s edit: can pcie 4.0 gpu work with pcie 3.0 slots?

Cheers,
Mojo

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask for opinion regarding the topic above.

TL/DR:
Current setup
Asus B350-f strix
Ryzen 5 1600
Asus strix Gtx 1070 8g
16 G ram DDR4 (8x2) (Ripjaws https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nqp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvrb)
SSD & Sata

I am thinking to finally upgrade my GPU but i understand that i will have to also need to upgrade my CPU the same time.

Upgrade target:
Ryzen 5 5600 (new)
RTX 3070 (used)
Nvme & SSD upgrade (not sure yet)

Mobo - Sticking with the Bf350-f strix since AM4 and checked on Asus website it does support Ryzen 5000 series and im want to save some $ for the GPU.
Ram - Not upgrading

Usage: Gaming (Non-competitive/casual) primarily Destiny 2, Medium to heavy photo editing / design use (adobe), Probably some light video editing & rendering.

My Question:
Does anyone have similar setup and if this new + old pairing will have bottleneck issues or any other issue that i should be aware of? i know 4070 launch is just around the corner but this time around im in a little bit of a tight budget. Any advice is welcome and thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
Mojo
You will lose performance, but its not like you will get bad peformance in general out of that setup, you would definitely notice an increase from your GTX 1070. I would just upgrade them one at a time. Currently im running an RTX 3080 with a threadripper 1920x , and honestly I dont have any performance issues at all. Am I losing performance with my setup? Most definitely. Am I really worried about it or is there a game out there that i cant play and play well? Nope. I will say that you will also want to upgrade your ram to 32GB when you get a chance, but you can easily stagger these upgrades over the next year or so with no negative impact. That will give you a good system to work with for the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojone87

mojone87

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
You will lose performance, but its not like you will get bad peformance in general out of that setup, you would definitely notice an increase from your GTX 1070. I would just upgrade them one at a time honestly. Currently im running an RTX 3080 with a threadripper 1920x , and honestly I dont have any performance issues at all. Am I losing performance with my setup? Most definitely. Am I really worried about it or is there a game out there that i cant play and play well? Nope.
Thanks for your input. Yeah, I was thinking that I’d upgrade the mobo to an updated ones next so that in the future if I do want to upgrade the other parts again, it’ll be at least more future proof.

I just need the gpu upgrade more urgently but it seems it’s be better to upgrade the cpu the same time.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
Thanks for your input. Yeah, I was thinking that I’d upgrade the mobo to an updated ones next so that in the future if I do want to upgrade the other parts again, it’ll be at least more future proof.

I just need the gpu upgrade more urgently but it seems it’s be better to upgrade the cpu the same time.
Eh its up to you honestly, you will definitely notice both of those upgrades, but its not like the Ryzen 5 1600 is so weak that you wouldn't notice the increased performance of the RTX 3070. Also as Logain mentioned, you should have a decent power supply for all this. It'd be a shame to get some newer parts only for the PSU to take a dump all over them.

mojone87

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Eh its up to you honestly, you will definitely notice both of those upgrades, but its not like the Ryzen 5 1600 is so weak that you wouldn't notice the increased performance of the RTX 3070. Also as Logain mentioned, you should have a decent power supply for all this. It'd be a shame to get some newer parts only for the PSU to take a dump all over them.

You are right. Maybe it’s time to upgrade psu as well. But wouldn’t 1600 bottleneck 3070 or the performance drop is not noticeable? I had the impression that I had to upgrade the cpu as well if I want to jump to 3070.

btw: psu = Corsair can’t remember which model 650w gold rated. Abt 6-7 years old.

artk2219

Distinguished
You are right. Maybe it’s time to upgrade psu as well. But wouldn’t 1600 bottleneck 3070 or the performance drop is not noticeable? I had the impression that I had to upgrade the cpu as well if I want to jump to 3070.

btw: psu = Corsair can’t remember which model 650w gold rated. Abt 6-7 years old.
That is getting up there in the years but I cant say anything else without knowing the model. The Ryzen 5 1600 will bottleneck the RTX 3070, but it will not bottleneck it so much that you will not get a very good performance uplift from that GTX 1070. You should definitely upgrade that CPU in the future, but you do not have to upgrade it at the same time. This article has multiple cpu's and gpu's, your GTX 1070 is about 15 - 20% slower than that RX 5600XT, but you can use that card as a baseline. They have multiple games and generations of CPU's in the article. At the higher graphics settings you will definitely get a very nice performance uplift even with the Ryzen 5 1600, but it is leaving performance on the table compared to other CPU's. So if you want to do both at the same time you will get the most potential out of that card, but you could also just upgrade one at one time, and then the other one later so youre spending less money out of pocket at once. Maybe you could even save a little more to get a better CPUor get a good deal in the future, maybe you could pickup a 5800X3D instead of that 5600. I also included the 13900ks review since it has the 5800x3d and newer cpus in there for comparison, the 5600 is about 20% slower than the 5800X3D.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-13900ks-cpu-review/4

Last edited:

mojone87

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
That is getting up there in the years but I cant say anything else without knowing the model. The Ryzen 5 1600 will bottleneck the RTX 3070, but it will not bottleneck it so much that you will not get a very good performance uplift from that GTX 1070. You should definitely upgrade that CPU in the future, but you do not have to upgrade it at the same time. This article has multiple cpu's and gpu's, your GTX 1070 is about 15 - 20% slower than that RX 5600XT, but you can use that card as a baseline. They have multiple games and generations of CPU's in the article. At the higher graphics settings you will definitely get a very nice performance uplift even with the Ryzen 5 1600, but it is leaving performance on the table compared to other CPU's. So if you want to do both at the same time you will get the most potential out of that card, but you could also just upgrade one at one time, and then the other one later so youre spending less money out of pocket at once. Maybe you could even save a little more to get a better CPUor get a good deal in the future, maybe you could pickup a 5800X3D instead of that 5600. I also included the 13900ks review since it has the 5800x3d and newer cpus in there for comparison, the 5600 is about 20% slower than the 5800X3D.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-13900ks-cpu-review/4
This is awesome source, I’ll take a look. If this is the case with the cpu, I’d definitely will just get the gpu + psu upgrade first. Save up a little more and upgrade mobo to 550 + 5800x3d or better next.

just one last question, my current mobo only has pcie 3.0 and rtx 3070 is pcie 4.0. Will this be an issue?

thanks again for your reply and advise. Really appreciate it a lot.

artk2219

Distinguished
This is awesome source, I’ll take a look. If this is the case with the cpu, I’d definitely will just get the gpu + psu upgrade first. Save up a little more and upgrade mobo to 550 + 5800x3d or better next.

just one last question, my current mobo only has pcie 3.0 and rtx 3070 is pcie 4.0. Will this be an issue?

thanks again for your reply and advise. Really appreciate it a lot.

Nope, even if you were using an RTX 4090, PCIE 3 wouldnt bottleneck it enough to be a major issue, at least not compared to the CPU bottleneck it. The only reason to go PCIE 4 or 5 is storage based, newer NVME SSD's perform faster on PCIE 4 and 5, but even then, its not noticeable in most use cases.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/28.html

Last edited:

mojone87

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017

mojone87

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
I moved from a 1080 to a 3070 when pricing came back around. My personal experience was moving from 1080P/75 or so frames on mid-high settings to 1440/90+ FPS on highest settings. When I first made this change I was using an 11600K which is roughly the same as the 5600 you are considering.
Thanks for sharing this. I feel more confident with my choice now 😀

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Microcenter is tempting me with cheap 11700K

I will have to go check again. I picked up my 11900K for a WAY good price along with a promotional code. I have been offhand watching for a deal on the 11700K to come around again (they did it once already) to upgrade the office PC on the cheap. My own upgrade path has led to a spare motherboard and some decent RAM staring at me to be utilized.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have too many stupid plans.

Currently use an underclocked 4770k for my HTPC, it has an Intel A380 for fun (no reBAR)

If I buy a Mini ITX LGA1200 board, the 11700K, and some more memory, I could swap my 10900F for the 11700k and build a silly over-powered HTPC with 10 cores. Or I can buy a 12100F and even some cheap Z690 boards and do it that way and keep the 10900F in place. (I like having the overclocking features for undervolting, not that the 12100F needs it)

Or replace the whole 10900F system, and the HTPC at the same time. Which is more or less how it started. When I was running that 4770k for gaming, I bought a i3-4130T to serve as an HTPC. 4770k is on a mini-ITX Z87 board so it can even serve as a decent gaming rig. Though unless I buy even more stuff it wouldn't be a working computer...

Amazon currently has the 11700k for 245, 5$ cheaper than Microcenter's in-person price.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Micro Center will often run deals a bit after they are "last gen" stuff and have a quick sale at a fraction of the cost. I cannot recall the exacts on this CPU (11700K) but know it was under $200 and probably closer to $100 to catch my attention. I missed out on picking up a 9900K for $100 because I had to work. I did similarly with a $100 1700X and ~$125 2700X as well.
What leads me to the situation I am in now was the Z590 Unify full ATX size board going for $125 on Amazon.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
$130 for a Z690 Mini-ITX
$200 for a Z590 Mini-ITX

Really doesn't make a lot of sense to get the 11700K, but I would find it odd to have my HTPC two generations newer than my gaming rig...but upgrading my gaming rig beyond 11th gen means a full CPU/Motherboard/CPU cooler at the least, plus ram if I go DDR5. Which would free the DDR4 for the HTPC, but then leave a crippled 10900F and Z490 board...so probably more RAM anyway....