upgrading from i3 540

Souvik G

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
i want to upgrade to a lga 1156 compatible processor ,basically i was looking at i7 860 but i also came across xeon x3460-x3470 at half the price,i want to upgrade because my current processor
i3 540 is good but 2017 games is not doing well like battlefield 1 is lagging even in low setting.i heard that xeon are basically server processors,i did some research on net compared benchmarks but still i need a clear answer,will it serve an alternative to previous gen i7s.my gpu is 750 ti.i basically want a lagging free rig ,i am willing to play games in low setting with pleasure but it shouldn't lag.
my mobo:Intel® Desktop Board DH55PJ
ram:8 gb 1333mhz
processor:i3 540
psu :local
gpu: gtx 750 ti

Solution
Can you list your system's specs as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
GPU:
Case:
PSU:

In the LGA1156 platform you can have access to L3400/X3400 series chips but if they are compatible will be entirely depending on the motherboard you have at the moment. Perhaps a BIOS update could solve it but with lack of info a definite answer is lacking.

On another predicament, you could play games at low settings but due to the platform you will not escape a bottleneck while today's games will demand more from your system, be it the CPU or GPU.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you list your system's specs as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
GPU:
Case:
PSU:

In the LGA1156 platform you can have access to L3400/X3400 series chips but if they are compatible will be entirely depending on the motherboard you have at the moment. Perhaps a BIOS update could solve it but with lack of info a definite answer is lacking.

On another predicament, you could play games at low settings but due to the platform you will not escape a bottleneck while today's games will demand more from your system, be it the CPU or GPU.

Solution
"will it serve an alternative to previous gen i7s"
Yes, a modern server CPU will allow plenty of processing power for today's current games.

Pick i7 860 - 880 (As long as it doesn't have an S on the end of the CPU name.)
OR
Xeon x3460 - x3480

Looks like prices are fairly low so I'd go with the x3480