[SOLVED] Upgrading from i5 2400 to i5 10400f

May 21, 2021
Hello, I always wanted to upgrade my decade-old pc but I'm kinda short on money right now so I can't do it all at once
I thought that the first step would be to change the CPU along with the mobo and the case then wait a couple of months (maybe even longer) before changing the GPU and the rest of the components
My pc components are: i5 2400, 750ti, and 8GBs of ddr3 RAM
My question here is, would it be wise to spend my money on the new CPU that I want to buy and wait till I get enough money to buy the new GPU(perhaps gonna be 1650 or something, not sure yet)?
Or should I maybe buy the GPU first and then wait till I get enough money to be the CPU?

*please note that I'm gonna wait a long time, as I said before it might take a whole year before I can get the other components

Solution
I really like the GTXti card.
Considering the graphics card pricing of today, you are well advised to wait.
I5-2400 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 3819/1576.
I5-10400f has 12 threads and a rating of 12592/ 2588
A very nice upgrade. The faster 2588 single thread speed will show up in overall quickness.
But, if you are on a budget, look at the i3-10100 processor with 8 threads and a rating of
8949/2648.
Any lga1200 motherboard will do, and in any case, you will need ddr4 ram.
Speed is not important for these intel processors.
May 21, 2021
You need to consider your workload when upgrading. What do you do with your computer? if you only play games with it, I would just go for the graphics card. However if you do a lot of Editing and/or game development or stuff requiring more cpu power then go for the cpu as your cpu is getting old.

I really like the GTXti card.
Considering the graphics card pricing of today, you are well advised to wait.
I5-2400 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 3819/1576.
I5-10400f has 12 threads and a rating of 12592/ 2588
A very nice upgrade. The faster 2588 single thread speed will show up in overall quickness.
But, if you are on a budget, look at the i3-10100 processor with 8 threads and a rating of
8949/2648.
Any lga1200 motherboard will do, and in any case, you will need ddr4 ram.
Speed is not important for these intel processors.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't. Whatever components you buy first will be out of vendor warranty before you can even test to see if they actually work and are not DOA, which can happen.

With that amount of time, better to save up the money, most likely end up either spending less (parts will be older by then) or with the same budget, get something better.

Buy everything all at once, or near enough. If you want a pb&j sandwich, you don't buy the bread today and the peanut butter a month from now. It most definitely will not end well.