Upgrading from i7-4770K to x299

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hi All,

I am building a new PC and want to upgrade from my 4770K and GTX780. I hear a lot of people are complaining about x299 platform and I was thinking about going for x299 with GTX 1080 ti, is it really that bad or it is worth the upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Ryzen series are pretty darn good on power use and thermals. Even the stock cooler doesn't suck!
But for a PC of the kind of spec you are after, waiting a few months for X299 to mature, Threadripper to release and be benchmarked, Vega cards to release, etc, is probably a good idea.
The full line of X299 cpu's won't be released until early 2018. IIRC.
Threadripper will put pricing pressure on Intel, possibly making them cheaper than at present.
Every new platform ever has teething problems.

Which is why I waited several months after release to build this system, which only got final assembly about 4 days ago. Bios update, poof 3200 ram speed, purrs like a kitten.
The general consensus seems to be that X299 was VERY rushed. Give...

exroofer

Distinguished
X299 is a HEDT platform, for "up to" 18 core processors.
Comparable to AMD Threadripper line.

NEITHER of which are gaming platforms. Unless you use your PC for pro level video editing or other tasks where your PC provides a significant amount of income, and making it faster makes you more money, X299 is an utter waste of money.

If streaming/Youtube is your thing, a Ryzen 1700 build, OC"d is far more effective use of your money, especially considering even the 10 core X299 cpu is $1000 USD.

The Intel folks can probably toss a 7700k build up here that is pretty cost effective if pure gaming is your thing.

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

It is going to be for gaming and 3D design. I tried putting a 7700k build together it almost comes out the same as if i would go with x299/7820x. The difference was couple hundred. I mean if I am spending that much money which was around $3500 is it really worth to not put couple hundred more and get the x299/7820x?

exroofer

Distinguished
For that use, and at that budget, then yes I would say it becomes worth it. Especially at a total system cost that only moves by a few hundred at that point.
Since some x299 reviews are showing really hi VRM temps, aim a fan at them.....:)

Or wait a bit for a few more mobos to be released for the platform. Expect some bios updates as the platform matures a bit, similar to Ryzen at launch, versus right now.

Try just upgrading the GPU first. If you have that i7-4770K overclocked and this computer is just for gaming. You likely won't notice much difference moving to a new CPU. Especially if you are gaming at 4K. If you are going for 1920x1080 and very high FPS you'd notice. Higher resolutions reduce load on the CPU.

The most serious issue I know of for x299 is the VRM and overclocking. Most of the CPUs don't support 44 PCIe lanes and they used thermal paste instead of soldering for the CPU lids. I'd wait for AMD thread ripper if you want a multi-core monster. It will be much cheaper and you get 64 PCIe lanes on all CPU models. The quad core x299 models only have 16 PCIe lanes and only support dual channel memory.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think most of the complaints about X299 center around the cost. Any decent X299 motherboard will run you around $320 minimum, $489 for the Asus Prime. Add in the cost of a CPU and you're looking at $1K minimum. You can upgrade to other platforms for much cheaper.

NEITHER of which are gaming platforms. Unless you use your PC for pro level video editing or other tasks where your PC provides a significant amount of income, and making it faster makes you more money, X299 is an utter waste of money.

Yes this is true. And don't expect solid performance for gaming from Threadripper. AMD is aiming at the ultra high end enthusiast / developer / AV editor with that lineup. I've seen some early reports saying Threadripper is going to run higher than X299 CPUs at the moment.

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Thank you all for the advice. I'm going crazy as to what to do lol. I will use the PC for gaming and 3d design hence I am going more towards the x299 platform or else I would have just went with 7700k. So should I just wait for a better Mobo and some bios updates just to have them iron out that overheating issue? By the way this the build I am going for.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vnH6f8

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Also for some reason I have never been fan of amd CPUs just because people always say they overheat quickly and use more power and whenever I did research Intel always seemed to outperform amd CPUs. I do know they are good for the price though.

exroofer

Distinguished
Ryzen series are pretty darn good on power use and thermals. Even the stock cooler doesn't suck!
But for a PC of the kind of spec you are after, waiting a few months for X299 to mature, Threadripper to release and be benchmarked, Vega cards to release, etc, is probably a good idea.
The full line of X299 cpu's won't be released until early 2018. IIRC.
Threadripper will put pricing pressure on Intel, possibly making them cheaper than at present.
Every new platform ever has teething problems.

Which is why I waited several months after release to build this system, which only got final assembly about 4 days ago. Bios update, poof 3200 ram speed, purrs like a kitten.
The general consensus seems to be that X299 was VERY rushed. Give Intel a month or two to throw some of their many millions at ironing out the bugs and I'm sure it will be a solid platform for it's intended purpose.

Solution

md.bomfim

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

Man, do your upgrade the way you want to. Be happy with your new pc build. Nothing is much better than do the way we want to do. Life goes "round.

Thank you all for the advice! I am probably gonna wait until August/September to see what is going on before I make my purchase.

DIBS ! on the 4770k when it comes to be sold :)

Seriously got very good advice above, and since prices seem to be freefalling I bet top line 8xxx series will be even cheaper and may be worth investigating at the time, and realize unless your editing 75mm THX videos, a 10 or 12 cores will do just about any job a 16 cores will.