Apr 26, 2019
Hello, i have a PC with these specs:
CPU:Intel core i7-8700 non K
GPU: Aorus RTX 2070 8GB
MOB: Aorus Z390 pro
PSU: Corsair TX650M 80+ gold semi modular
Case: Antec DF500 RGB
RAM: 2x8 3000mhz corsair vengeance lpx DDR4

i did watch AMD keynote at computex 2019 3 days ago and i'm really intrested in their products would upgrading my motherboard and CPU worth it or i should wait for the i9-9900 KS since my motherboard will support only up to an i9 unlocked processor or spend the cash on a new X570 and ryzen 9 processor and try to sell the z390 and i7 8700 in a bundle i need suggestions.

Solution
I agree with the overall sentiment of upgrading the CPU... It's just a waste of money to do so. Even if it's a locked i7 8700, it still has plenty of grunt and won't shy away from pushing frames for the years to come. Your money is better spent on upgrading the GPU if you want even more FPS'es. The 8700 should have no problem going all the way to a 2080ti before giving zero extra FPS (i.e. becoming a severe bottleneck).

Cheers!
Gaming and multitasking no streaming or editing
In which case for gaming your i7 8700 is faster than any Ryzen options and chances are the difference with Ryzen 3000 will be small, Ryzen is catching up and unlikely to take much of a lead. If general multitasking then I highly doubt you will notice any difference either.

However I’m also sceptical that your motherboard will run a i9 9900 properly. I don’t believe that motherboards VRM’s are strong enough but I would like to see other options on this.

Apr 26, 2019
In which case for gaming your i7 8700 is faster than any Ryzen options and chances are the difference with Ryzen 3000 will be small, Ryzen is catching up and unlikely to take much of a lead. If general multitasking then I highly doubt you will notice any difference either.

However I’m also sceptical that your motherboard will run a i9 9900 properly. I don’t believe that motherboards VRM’s are strong enough but I would like to see other options on this.
my Z390 Aorus pro has the same VRM solution found on the high tier Aorus master z390, since intel announced that the i9-9900KS is coming in Q4 this year it will be able to boost to 5ghz on all cores out of the box but i can buy a normal i9 9900K and manually overclock to 5ghz idk if the KS model will be a bit expensive than the K version but we will see.

We can certainly speculate the new Ryzens might indeed (let's even agree on 'probably will') surpass the 8700 in basic gaming potential frame rates....

As to how many added FPS this will translate to with a GTX2070 at 1080P or 1440P remains to be seen... (One might need a 2080Ti at 1080P or 1440P to allow some processor scaling, and using a 144 Hz monitor, etc...)

It's quite possible the 8700 can already max out a 2070, in the same way that two years ago that every processor at least an i5-7500 could max out/saturate a GTX1060, where further processor increases above that were largely wasted on increasing frame rates...

One might hypothetically be disappointed to get a new $600-$800 cpu/mainboard combo, and find frame rates largely unaffected due to GPU limitations...

I'd wait for verified gaming results to be published with a variety of GPUs (including your RTX2070!) before planning this upgrade; the 8700 is hardly 'slow' just yet...

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
i wouldnt suggest you that upgrade unless you make a living with that rig or just sitting on a pot of Gold.

in case you still have the itch
-getting RTX 2080Ti is a better option than getting a new CPU. it would give you much better performance in games than getting a new CPU ever would since you not streaming or editing.. rest of the multitasking that i7 8700 can handle just fine. most game runs fine on 4c/4t and dont need more than 6c/6t.

I agree with the overall sentiment of upgrading the CPU... It's just a waste of money to do so. Even if it's a locked i7 8700, it still has plenty of grunt and won't shy away from pushing frames for the years to come. Your money is better spent on upgrading the GPU if you want even more FPS'es. The 8700 should have no problem going all the way to a 2080ti before giving zero extra FPS (i.e. becoming a severe bottleneck).

Cheers!

Solution