Question Upgrading From Intel to AMD

Sep 11, 2024
Hey guys! I'm writing in case you could give me some insights for a new PC Build. I've been thinking about switching from my current Intel computer to an AMD one lately. The build is as follows:

- Motherboard: MEG tomahawk X670E WiFi.
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
- Graphic Card: MSI RTX 4070 TI Super ventus X3
- Ram: DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6000 MHz 2x32 GB CL 30

Obviously it's a gaming-focused PC, AMD version, what do you say is playing it in 1440p great? Or could I have some problems? Furthermore, this radical choice to switch from Intel to AMD is dictated by the fact that lately Intel has found that there are instability problems with their 13th and 14th generation CPUs which worries me a lot even though I am an Intel fan. Obviously the budget is around €2000 and I already have a case and a MSI MPG 750GF power supply, could it be enough as a power supply for this build or would it need to be replaced? Thank you so much for reading the post and I look forward to your suggestions/improvements in case of something I may not see or perhaps more valid substitutes always in the same price range or perhaps some brand that are better (mostly for GPU).

P.S.: The monitor is MSI MAG321 QR-QD 170 Hz 1440p and I'm upgrading to get better performance on 1440p

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Do you need the X670 chipset? You could get a B650 chipsetted board and perhaps lower your build's overall costs. What does the rest of your build look like?

Ram: DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6000 MHz 2x32 GB CL 30
Got a link to the ram kit? Does the ram kit have AMD's E.X.P.O on the package/listing?

Obviously the budget is around €2000
You should stylize your post with info listed in this thread, so we're up to speed in how to source parts for you in the easiest manner possible. You location does help since we're not exactly located in Europe.

Hey there,

Parts are all good. Except as you've pointed out the PSU. I'd prob go a minimum of 850w. Give a little headroom for power spikes. If it were me though, it's be going with a 1000w to ensure good efficiency, and less stress on the PSU.

The system as is will be extremely strong for 1440p, maxing out most details. Newer game engines like UE5 are resource hogs though. They are bringing even current mid-high end GPU's to there knees. However, the 4070ti Super has all the latest DLSS and Frame Gen capabilities. (FG is a bot of a misnomer though - worth reading up on it). But keep in mind for some of those games, and at 1440p you will not hit 170hz/FPS in all games. You may have to trick around with DLSS to find settings to give you those high FPS.

The ram is nice and fast and is considered the sweet spot for AMD. As @Lutfij suggested. Knowing the ram kit will tell us if it's on the QVL for your mobo, and thus compatibility.
MSI MAG321 QR-QD 170 Hz 1440p
Is this your current monitor, or one you are considering getting? 32 inch for 1440p isn't the best because of pixel density. 27 inch for 1440p is best, or 32inch +for 4k. If you go with the 32in, chances are you will need to adjust your seating or monitor location to avoid pixelation. Not ideal for first person shooters.

Just my .02 cents worth :)

Sep 11, 2024
To rectify my initial post this is it:

Approximate Purchase Date: Maybe 2 weeks and I will buy the upgrade.

Budget Range: 2000 EUR

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No I already have one MSI MAG321 QR-QD 170 Hz 1440p

Parts to Upgrade:

- Motherboard - MEG tomahawk X670E WiFi: I want to buy this motherboard maybe and perhaps for future upgrades if PCIe 5.0 technology will be used so for me it's worth to have this as a possibility.

- Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: I've seen benchmarks and still is the best CPU for gaming and I'm avoiding intel just for the instability issues.

- Graphic Card - MSI RTX 4070 TI Super ventus X3: I'd like to have an honest opinion about this because I want to know which brand is best to buy and perhaps switch to. A brand that gives the best performance and best heatsink perhaps.

- Ram - DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6000 MHz 2x32 GB CL 30. As I've said the ram will be this ones and yes they have AMD E.X.P.O and this is the link https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0C5M9P5GK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&psc=1

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon will be my choice.

Parts Preferences: I don't have none as long i will get performance, i'd like a recommendation on this one especially on the GPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440p

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Better performance on 1440p, nice FPS.

P.S: Sorry I didn't see this format. I already have a case, an AIO cooler MSI MAG CORELIQUID C240 and also SSDs.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2024
Hey there,

Parts are all good. Except as you've pointed out the PSU. I'd prob go a minimum of 850w. Give a little headroom for power spikes. If it were me though, it's be going with a 1000w to ensure good efficiency, and less stress on the PSU.

The system as is will be extremely strong for 1440p, maxing out most details. Newer game engines like UE5 are resource hogs though. They are bringing even current mid-high end GPU's to there knees. However, the 4070ti Super has all the latest DLSS and Frame Gen capabilities. (FG is a bot of a misnomer though - worth reading up on it). But keep in mind for some of those games, and at 1440p you will not hit 170hz/FPS in all games. You may have to trick around with DLSS to find settings to give you those high FPS.

The ram is nice and fast and is considered the sweet spot for AMD. As @Lutfij suggested. Knowing the ram kit will tell us if it's on the QVL for your mobo, and thus compatibility.

Is this your current monitor, or one you are considering getting? 32 inch for 1440p isn't the best because of pixel density. 27 inch for 1440p is best, or 32inch +for 4k. If you go with the 32in, chances are you will need to adjust your seating or monitor location to avoid pixelation. Not ideal for first person shooters.

Just my .02 cents worth :)

The monitor is my current one! I'm worried about the PSU but actually was thinking about undervolting and capping the FPS to avoid spikes or at least minimize them because the PSU I have right now is the MSI MPG 750GF and it's a new one it has less than a year that's why!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead