Question Upgrading from RTX 3080 to RTX 4080

DekuLicious

Prominent
Feb 2, 2022
I am interested in upgrading my RTX 3080 to an RTX 4080 and would like to know if any additional components need to be upgraded to accommodate this change. Can anyone with the appropriate knowledge provide me with some guidance?

• ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
  • Intel Core i7-9700K
  • G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
  • Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower Case
  • PSU: Posting this late at night so haven't checked yet, but I am quite sure it's about 750w.
Planning on buying one from my local shop, yet there are a few to pick and not sure which one is preferred or actually if the highest-priced one even makes much difference - כרטיס מסך Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 במחיר קיי.אס.פי | KSP

DekuLicious

Prominent
Feb 2, 2022
So 1440p 144Hz. I’d say a gpu upgrade is fairly pointless. If you are suffering from a lack of fps I’d expect it’s more likely a cpu limitation.
Yes, but in general if I were to upgrade it anyways, except the PSU upgrade which I was told an 850 is recommended, what else would I require to upgrade?

Unless you play games at 4K you are not likely to see much difference with this upgrade.

Exactly. Which is why my next card will be a 4090 when prices normalise some more. But actually really quite happy with a 3080 at 1440p. If you're definitely doing the monitor upgrade, then by all means. But even then I'd probably wait until 4090 prices get more sane.

Because that's a real upgrade coming from a 3080.

DekuLicious

Prominent
Feb 2, 2022
Exactly. Which is why my next card will be a 4090 when prices normalise some more. But actually really quite happy with a 3080 at 1440p. If you're definitely doing the monitor upgrade, then by all means. But even then I'd probably wait until 4090 prices get more sane.

Because that's a real upgrade coming from a 3080.
Yes, I think waiting for 4090 prices to normalize makes sense. Thank you all for your advice and opinions, it is really helpful.

At 1440p I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve got a 3080 as well and it’s a beast for 1440p, especially considering some guys used to run those at 4K. If you know for certain you are going to go 4k and you are already spending 1200 for a 4080, you might as well bite the bullet and go for the 4090. Though I’d probably suggest if you are on a 9000 series cpu, I’d look at upgrading the platform first so you don’t hold back the new card. But I don’t see any harm in getting a new psu to prepare. I’ve got a Corsair rmx 850 and am very happy with it so far.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

DekuLicious

Prominent
Feb 2, 2022
At 1440p I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve got a 3080 as well and it’s a beast for 1440p, especially considering some guys used to run those at 4K. If you know for certain you are going to go 4k and you are already spending 1200 for a 4080, you might as well bite the bullet and go for the 4090. Though I’d probably suggest if you are on a 9000 series cpu, I’d look at upgrading the platform first so you don’t hold back the new card. But I don’t see any harm in getting a new psu to prepare. I’ve got a Corsair rmx 850 and am very happy with it so far.
I agree after reading most of the comments that if not upgrading to 4K, it's not worth the trouble. But the problem is that even with an RTX 3080, I am still getting FPS dips in games. For example, in Dying Light 2, while using GeFforce Experience recommended settings and DLSS, I still get low FPS at certain spots. Does it mean the game is not fully optimized or is my hardware not strong enough?

This is more good advice. The dips will go if you upgrade platform to a current gen Intel or AMD set up. That should be your first move, then graphics card. But you may even feel that isn't necessary after a platform upgrade.

Reactions: DekuLicious

DekuLicious

Prominent
Feb 2, 2022
Basically, what you're telling me is that I should focus more on upgrading the CPU, as the current one may not be keeping up with the powerful GPU. Which CPU do you think would be a good upgrade from what I currently have, and which motherboard do I need to get with it in case mine won't support a new one?

I was thinking of upgrading to the Intel Core i9-10900K, which would fit with the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING motherboard I currently have. However, if I am to upgrade my CPU, I should consider picking a better one maybe?

Reactions: John Chesterfield

DekuLicious

Prominent
Feb 2, 2022
Go big or go home, latest Intel or AMD. 10900k isn't enough of an upgrade in my opinion. If on a budget, try for 12 series Intel or 5000 series Ryzen and 32Gb of memory.
If I am looking to upgrade my CPU, I am willing to go big since I am currently using a 1440p monitor. What is the best option you can suggest, including a compatible motherboard? I am eagerly awaiting your recommendations.

I was just suggested the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X or the Intel Core i9-10980XE, what are your thoughts?

If I am looking to upgrade my CPU, I am willing to go big since I am currently using a 1440p monitor. What is the best option you can suggest, including a compatible motherboard? I am eagerly awaiting your recommendations.

I was just suggested the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X or the Intel Core i9-10980XE, what are your thoughts?

Is this just for gaming? Or are you also wanting to multitask with this machine?

DekuLicious

Prominent
Feb 2, 2022
Is this just for gaming? Or are you also wanting to multitask with this machine?
Just to game really, but I found this CPU Intel Core i9 12900KS to be better also with it's price being a lot cheaper than the one I mentioned, I decided to go with Intel instead of AMD as well since researching a bit told me Intel is better.
I am not even sure I need to upgrade my Mobo, I think the CPU can fit inside of it, right?

You can read opinions about Intel and AMD or you can look at actual benchmark data.

Both Intel and AMD have released quality products for quite some time and each have their pro's and con's. One is not "better" than the other. I've built both Intel and AMD gaming pc's and they have both been fine.

At this point in time if building a new pc I would suggest the AMD 7000 series and new AM5 socket. The LGA 1700 socket is at a dead end. The 13700k and 13900k are solid cpu's but run very hot as well.

If you built an Intel rig now you'll be in this exact same boat in a few years, no option to ugrade. The 9900k is the end of the line it would appear for your current motherboard.

https://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/asus-rog-strix-z390-e-gaming/cpu

The choice is yours.