Upgrading from SATA SSD to a new NVMe SSD, will I be able to access my old files?

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
So I have windows and all my data on a single partition in my Crucial MX100 512gb SSD. I bought a HP EX920 NVMe 1tb SSD and a NVMe to PCIE adapter so I can use it with my Gigabyte G1.Sniper H6 Motherboard.

I plan on doing a clean install of windows to the new drive, but want to know if I'll be able to access all my old files on my current primary drive (the MX100 left as is) from the new drive (the HP EX920) after I've installed windows to it and made it my new primary boot drive.

Solution
yes, you can, just don't format your MX100, also booting order makes EX920 before MX100 in BIOS.

When you boot with install media, it should keep your MX100 intact, and just install onto EX920. To me, I will simply unplug MX100 to make sure after installation it is booting into EX920. After install, and booting. Shutdown, plug in back MX100, boot into bios and select booting order.

Correction: All above is based on the assumption that you can boot through an NVME adapter...
yes, you can, just don't format your MX100, also booting order makes EX920 before MX100 in BIOS.

When you boot with install media, it should keep your MX100 intact, and just install onto EX920. To me, I will simply unplug MX100 to make sure after installation it is booting into EX920. After install, and booting. Shutdown, plug in back MX100, boot into bios and select booting order.

Correction: All above is based on the assumption that you can boot through an NVME adapter...

Solution

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah Im unsure if it will let me boot from the NVMe through PCIE.. but it is a UEFI motherboard so I'll see how it goes.

Honestly I'm wondering if I could stick the boot loader in the mx100, keep the OS on the nvme and have the bootloader point to the OS on the nvme. I wouldn't mind using grub to do it either since I'd like to dual boot Linux and windows anyways.

USAFRet

Titan

Unless there is a specific BIOS update to boot up from that drive in a PCIe adapter, you can't.
And putting the boot partition on your MX100 and the "OS" on the NVMe drive also doesn't work.

And in reality, it would be no faster.
Just have the NVMe drive as a second drive. Leave the OS on the existing MX100.

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Checked bios, it recognizes the new drive just fine and lets me boot from it first if I want so looks like Im in the clear :). If possible I want to remove my old ssd and give it to my dad to use since he's still using a cheap oem spinning disk once Ive moved some data over to my new drive.

USAFRet

Titan

During the install on the NVMe, remove your existing drive.
Do nothing with it until you are absolutely sure it boots properly from the new drive.

Basically, for Intel boards:
Pre-Z97 - Don't bother with an NVMe drive.
Z97 - Maybe. Even with a BIOS update, it probably can't let the drive run at full speed. In which case, why bother?
Post-Z97 - Generally no problem.

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I have a H97 board (linked in OP), but it's what I would consider a mid-end board, came with a lot of bells and whistles. Consider me reckless but I just went ahead and installed to the new drive from USB normally and it worked fine.
HXBLrUK.jpg

Here's how it benchmarked on the vanilla windows install with no updates, drivers, or anything. Seems to be bottle necked a bit by the adapter or my motherboard but still benchmarked very well. I'll probably be able to carry this drive over into a future build just fine with a quick wipe.

(I left the partition smaller than full size in case I decide to dual boot. Just leaving it for over provisioning for now since it's not space I need yet.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
And that performance is typical for a Z97 era board.
"Better" than a SATA III drive, but not nearly what an NVMe drive should do.

The Sequential looks great.
Down there in the 4k parts, where we live most of the time...not so great.